Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

External trans cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by iwillnc
Aftermarket aluminum radiators are almost universally crap, I know someone that can make an all aluminum hand built radiator... for about $800.
I get it, I've spent high dollar on aluminum radiators in the past. For my H2, it's not a racing engine or high HP engine so it definitely does not need some hand crafted radiator. To each their own but I wouldn't be spending $800 on a radiator for my rig and she is one of my most beloved vehicles.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:13 PM

Aftermarket aluminum radiators are almost universally crap, I know someone that can make an all aluminum hand built radiator... for about $800.

The $200 or w/e aluminum radiators on eBay/amazon/etc are junk that will leak within 50k miles. I wouldn’t trust my trucks cooling system, nor would I be willing to drive far from home with those aftermarket units.
So, I can buy 4 "junk radiators that will last 50k miles" each, for the same price of your hand built radiator, that could last 50k miles? Btw, if you spend that much bank on a "hand built" radiator, it should be made of copper. Copper is actually a better conductor of heat than aluminum.

Last edited by hummerz; 06-14-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
So, I can buy 4 "junk radiators that will last 50k miles" each, for the same price of your hand built radiator, that could last 50k miles? Btw, if you spend that much bank on a "hand built" radiator, it should be made of copper. Copper is actually a better conductor of heat than aluminum.

Or, you know, you can buy an OEM radiator which sports a superseded updated radiator design that will easily last 150-200k+ miles for $200.

I’ll trust the guys building radiators for $25k engines to pick the best material if I wanted to upgrade my radiator on this or any other vehicle. I have no need for such a design when the OEM has proven to be more than up to task.
If you would like to risk buying a Chinese all aluminum radiator then go ahead.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:47 PM

Thanks for all the input. I’ve been busy out of town with no service. I replaced the radiator with an ac Delco one about 30k miles ago.
just put in the trucool 40k trans cooler in a couple days ago. Drove it around for a few days, hard to get it above 160 at 80degrees here in WA state

Old 06-27-2020, 08:07 PM

Or, you know, you can buy an OEM radiator which sports a superseded updated radiator design that will easily last 150-200k+ miles for $200.

I’ll trust the guys building radiators for $25k engines to pick the best material if I wanted to upgrade my radiator on this or any other vehicle. I have no need for such a design when the OEM has proven to be more than up to task.
If you would like to risk buying a Chinese all aluminum radiator then go ahead.
Do you have the upgraded radiator part number? How did they solve the transmission tubes through the radiator leaking issue?

Old 06-28-2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kavik001
Do you have the upgraded radiator part number? How did they solve the transmission tubes through the radiator leaking issue?

Use rock auto or GMPartsDirect, either way the old stock is long depleted, any new GM parts are the updated design. I don’t remember the changes made, if you asked me 10 years ago I would have been able to give you a complete description of the changes.
Regardless I have the updated design in my truck from gmpartsdirect and I still use the aftermarket trans cooler on my truck without running it through the main radiator as originally designed.

Main purpose of running it through the main radiator is to warm up the fluid in very cold climates.