Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

External trans cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Default External trans cooler.

Changed multiple things on my h2 but yet too touch anything consisting of the cooling system. Could someone give me a couple tips or pointers on installing one of these. And maybe some PNs. Thanks all

Old 05-21-2020, 04:53 PM

You haven't touched anything? Here's a tip, plan on buying a replacement part of everything you touch.
More information needed for better advice:
Year?
Mileage?
Climate?
Parked in a climate controlled garage?
Post some pics underneath.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
You haven't touched anything? Here's a tip, plan on buying a replacement part of everything you touch.
More information needed for better advice:
Year?
Mileage?
Climate?
Parked in a climate controlled garage?
Post some pics underneath.

Sorry first post to the h2 forum. I got a 03 at 119xxx miles, I live in WA state so the climate is pretty fair just wet all the dam time (40-80 degrees). And she usually jus stays outside sometimes in the garage.

im interested on installing an external trans cooler. Heard from multiple people that if the in cooler in the stock radiator goes then your tran is done. So I just want some input on brand and setup people got, thanks

Old 05-22-2020, 07:13 AM

Honestly I would replace the radiator and be done with it. Its about that time for a new one, thanks to the plastic ends on the factory ones. I could only imagine what freezing temps do to them. Once you get a new radiator, there is really no need for an external trans cooler. Water to fluid is a better cooling medium than air to fluid. I just put in a new aluminum radiator that I found off Amazon for under $200. My temps run much lower than the ever did and I'm in FL. While you're in there might as well consider a new water pump, thermostat and hoses....all very cheap insurance.

Tim

Old 05-22-2020, 08:58 AM

If you search the Internet there’s a lot of how to’s on other H2 forums. It’s not hard you remove the factory trans cooler and route the lines that are coming from the transmission to the new cooler.

Mine works great - rarely goes over 150 F.

I recommend searching as I mentioned most people use the same trans radiator as it fits very well into the space of the old cooler.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:52 AM

I agree with Tharber. If you are not towing or driving up and down mount everest I would just go with an aftermarket full aluminum radiator and keep the factory type tranny cooler. I understand your concern, I am in the same boat with mine I just haven't pulled the trigger on an aftermarket radiator at this point.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I agree with Tharber. If you are not towing or driving up and down mount everest I would just go with an aftermarket full aluminum radiator and keep the factory type tranny cooler. I understand your concern, I am in the same boat with mine I just haven't pulled the trigger on an aftermarket radiator at this point.

Aftermarket aluminum radiators are almost universally crap, I know someone that can make an all aluminum hand built radiator... for about $800.

The $200 or w/e aluminum radiators on eBay/amazon/etc are junk that will leak within 50k miles. I wouldn’t trust my trucks cooling system, nor would I be willing to drive far from home with those aftermarket units.

My transmission radiator, same as used and detailed on elcova? Has been flawless for 100k miles and rarely allows the trans to go above 160 degrees. The cooler you keep the transmission the longer it will last.

If your really savvy and never want to touch the setup again I would recommend using swagelock fittings as well.

Last edited by iwillnc; 05-28-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by tharber
Honestly I would replace the radiator and be done with it. Its about that time for a new one, thanks to the plastic ends on the factory ones. I could only imagine what freezing temps do to them. Once you get a new radiator, there is really no need for an external trans cooler. Water to fluid is a better cooling medium than air to fluid. I just put in a new aluminum radiator that I found off Amazon for under $200. My temps run much lower than the ever did and I'm in FL. While you're in there might as well consider a new water pump, thermostat and hoses....all very cheap insurance.

Tim
I'm considering doing the same very soon on our 05 H2 with 400k plus miles. Any recommendations on which radiator to buy, part number or link would be great.
Secondly, if said no need for Trans cooler, how is that connected, would you have some pictures of your set up?
I do need to replace the steering cooler, the Trans cooler, the radiator, water pump, belts, etc. Yes lots of work stI'll ahead.

here are some pics.

thanks, Dan

As you can see, lines are rusty and will meed to be replaced. Oil looler lines or something else? Left side of radiator, two lines.

Very rusty, steering cooler and lines.

Water pump is old as well, will be replaced along with all belts, pullys, thermostat. Its work in progress, im resurrecting this H2 and getting it ready for another 400k miles.

Still some work left on top of the engine and hood latch needs to be either fixed or replaced. Probably will replace the ignition coils, fuel injectors, etc. I want this poppy to be fresh and last a long time.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:41 PM
Old 06-12-2020, 08:02 AM

I just didn't add anything extra to mine. Most people I guess are eliminating the radiator cooler and running a larger external unit. Factory runs to the extermal factory cooler then thru the radiator. My transmission guy is the one that told me water to air is much more effective than air to air for fluid. I have since (due to another issue) disconnected my oil cooler and have noticed no issues. I beleive all of the lines are aluminum but I don't remember, so they might just need to be cleaned up.

I can't say anything bad about my aluminum radiator. Its well built and other than one little bend that I had to make on the upper portion, there were no issues. I'm not a fan of the plastic factory type but to each his own I guess. My unit was from Amazon and its 3 core's thick versus the single core factory.

Its been a few months now and I just ran down to the FL Keys and the truck never ran better. Stayed nice and cool as did the transmission.

Tim

Quick Reply: External trans cooler.