Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

OK. I'll talk to my friend and see if he could get it for me so I can post it for you guys.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:15 PM

Went to HUMMER of Orlando yesterday and was told that they have an Engineer on the way to diagnose the problem and try to find a fix. What troubles me about this is GM should have a fix by now from some engineer with really thick glasses. It's not rocket science, it's a steering shaft. Come on GM, find a fix and get it in the parts chain!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

There is a fix. That's what I just posted I'm trying to get the part number as we speak. Apparently it just came out this week, unless my friend at the dealer was given the wrong information. He told me to bring it in because the new part was finally available. Like I said, he may have been given the wrong info, but I doubt it.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 PM

My husband said I had lost my mind and that my H3 was NOT making a noise. Thanks to all who have confirmed exactly what I have been hearing. After reading the blogs today, I called my service center and of course they haven't heard of any such problem even though I know that another H3 owner just this week had his in for the SAME problem! I called GMAC/Hummer at 866-486-6376 and registered my complaint with them. The gave me a file number and supposedly the service issue is forwarded to those who can fix any mass problem. I would recommend that each and everyone of you that has this issue do the same so that they will get bombarded with the same complaint and might actually create a fix!

In the meantime, I was told to take it to my dealership and have them "hear" the problem and let them determine the cause for it and fix it however they deem necessary. Right now GMAC is not acknowledging that there is a mass problem and they are not authorizing a general fix for those with the complaint.

We all need to unify and demand this issue be acknowledged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

I think I just said this in the past two posts

It has been acknowledged and the parts are supposedly available for the repair, which I'm trying to get part numbers for. I don't know for certain though.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I think I just said this in the past two posts

It has been acknowledged and the parts are supposedly available for the repair, which I'm trying to get part numbers for. I don't know for certain though.
Part number would be helpful. Let us know how it came out with your replacement.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:39 AM

Any updates about the replacement part?

Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: greenshirt77

ORIGINAL: wrongway

1600 miles on my wifes Hummer and now the front end rattle, I spoke to Don at McGinnis in Houston today, he has ordered me a replacement low steering column, he said the he has replaced loads of them and that 8 out of 10 times the replacement part fixes the problem. He also stated that GM are working on redesigning the steering column, but that is months away.
Hate to tell you this, but he's pulling your leg. At least in reagrdsto the temp fix working 8 out of 10 times.And possibly on thenew partsstill being months away.
All indications are that the new parts will be avail fairly soon. But really who knows for sure.
There's a prob with the DESIGN (and subsequently the proper function) of the existing steering shaft assembly. All they're doing is swapping out for the same parts, which will never "fix" the problem, but most likely only will mask it temorarily.
Why dealers would want to waste their time and yours bysimply replacing inferior parts with more inferior parts is beyond me. I'll wait until the better parts arrive, thank you very much.
Good luck.
Well it turns out that I am still waiting for a call from McGinnis to have my wifes Hummer fixed, Don at McGinnis tells me that GM wont let the dealers stock the part anymore and the only way to order a new lower steering column is with a customers name. It could be that GM is no longer suppling the old part and is waiting for the new steering column to be ready before shipping any replacements.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 PM

[:@] If you guys want to laugh , allow me to inform the following; Yesterday Friday, August 3rd, I called my Hummer Dealership in Houston, TX...........and guess what ? I was informed that GM is releasing or has released a part, and it's to arrive as soon as this coming week. However, I asked how much of a change or re-desing was involved, meaning if the Dealership has been actually told any specifics as well as giving any instructions. Answer NO, plus the new part number will be the same number, meaning that according to the servive rep., GM believes that the problem with the rattle/clunk noise.....was possibly do to a bad batch of the original design to begin with. Now, this is really a super stupid finding and explanation from GM, if what the service rep. told me is actually true.........Let me remind all of you that I reported this particular problem to the same Dealership the second week of June of 07'. Im my opinion, we're set for a very long road of excuses from GM/Hummer dealers for months to come. So lets hang in tight together and enjoy the ride............[] By now GM, should have sent out at least a short letter explaining that they're aware of the problem, and they're looking into it. Stay tune H3 owners ! This whole thing is worst than fight a cold with nothing but, your bare hand...........

Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the part number for the NEW/UPDATED part or whatever they want to call it is 25776339

I don't know if this is the same as the existing one, but keep in mind, the dealers were all told to use the existing one until the new one is made. As you said H3PR, it probably is the same part number.

Anyway, the new re-designed part is already on back-order even though it's available now. This is from my friend who works in the Service Department at a dealer as well.

I hope we all get this resolved soon. Honestly, everybody's story seems to add up to a defective batch, and them finding it and taking the old ones away from their inventory and replacing them with the new ones.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?