Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Default UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

I've noticed a noise over the past month or so in the front-end, more-so on the drivers side. The noisehappens primarily when hitting small bumps in the road (when coasting, braking,or accerlating). I can hear a light clunking sound kind of like something is loose (in the suspension).My main concern is that I can feel itinbothpedals. Its frustrating b/c it doesn't always happen. Usually occurs after I've been driving about 10 miles.I took it to the dealer and, of course, it didn't do it for them. So, they told me to bring it back next time it does. Haven't taken it back yet b/c I want to do a little research to see if anyone is having the same problem, so I can make a suggestion to them. I've read stuff about the CV joint, but my problem doesn't sound quite that severe. I did read something about the front body mounts that sounded very similar to my situation. Of course, it doesn't help that I know nothing about cars...

So, I leave it to you guys...the experts. Any ideas?

As always, thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Lil D

Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Sounds like a trend for the H3..... AndIthink that GM is trying to sort it out fast. Read my below post to another Forum member.......

"It is most likely your stearing shaft making the noise. Mine does it after the vehicle warms up. You can feel the light thumping or rattle in the break and gas pedal. The dealer told me it was a design or component problem that GM is working on a replacement shaft for the H3. If you crawl under the H3 on the drivers side and grab the stearing shaft above the nuckle (careful things are hot in that area) you can replicate the sound by trying to wiggleyour shaft (keep your mind out of the gutter.... not what I'm talking about). I talked to the dealer here in Houston about 4 weeks ago and he told me at that time that the improved replacement parts were not yet available. let us know if this is the same problem you are having. Mine is a 2007 model."

Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM

After a recent off roading trip I noticed a knocking noise when I go over bumps also. Inoticed my grillwas kind of loose and my headlights are also loose, so I am assuming when I go over bumps the loose grill and/or headlights are knocking around making the noise. My first impression when I heard it was that it may be the suspension, but I cant notice anything else loose except for the grill and headlights. I called Hummer today to make an appt,I amwaiting to hear back. I'll post what the problem really is after I get it back.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:17 PM

Thanks Fever. That sounds exactly like my problem, especially the part about the vehicle doing it after its warmed up and the thumping in the pedals. Its extremely hard to describe it to the dealer w/out replicating it orsounding like a complete moron. I'm planning on taking it in soon. I'll mention the stearing shaft to them. Please let me know what you find out.

Mfish, I know my grille/headlights aren't loose. Plus, I've only taken itlight off-roadingonce since I've owned it. So, mine shouldn't be wear and tear...wish I could say it was though. Sounds more legit. Ha! Please let me know as well.

Thanks for the help!

Lil D

Old 06-04-2007, 06:22 PM

I'm taking mine to the dealer this wednesday...we'll see what they find.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Just got back from the dealer here in Dallas (actually Plano) and you were right, Fever.

Here's the story: Its hot here today and for what seems to be that reason, the rattling/thumping was very active. So, I stopped by the dealer at lunch. Before I could even finish describing the problem, the service dude was telling meother symptoms I was experiencing. Fortunately, he was right on and told me that I (actually Fever ) was right about the steering shaft. He also mentioned that I was his 4th customer in the last week or so that came to him w/ this problem. So, the good news is that its not detrimental to the operation of the vehicle AND they are going to replace it. The sorta bad news is that the new shaft parts are on back order. Apparently, this is becoming a problem w/ the 2007's although GM hasn't issued any kind of recall. Now, I'm just waiting for a phone call.

Oh yeah, I also asked if all 07's will eventually have this problem as my parent's just bought 2 months ago. He said it just depends on when the unit was built. So, BE WARE!

I'll post an update once I'm all fixed up. Hope this helps shed some light on the issue...and thanks again!

Lil D

Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Guess I don't have to worry about that problem since I have on 06...but I was lucky enough to get the head/valve problem

Old 06-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Ooo, yeah I don't think I'm willing to trade places just yet

Old 06-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Thats funny someone mentioned this, I noticed this for the first time yesterday. Get a slight clicking or knockingin both pedals and the steering wheel while driving home yesterday. '06 H3. Should I take it in?

Old 06-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Also make sure all of the skid plate bolts are tight.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?