Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Default RE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

I took mine in today and the service manager said he call the Main Hummer service officials and they said they did not know what the problem actually was and that there was no fix for it yet but they are working on it. Seems we are getting conflicting answers from various dealers. My service tech said he thought the noise was coming from the shaft hitting the firewall causing the feeling through the brake and gas pedal. Well, anyway, I have it documented that there is a problem and will be on a list when the fix is in. He said there were no safety issues which is a good thing. Mine was produced 09/06.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Mine does this mostly in the morning when it's cold.I took it in over a week ago adn still haven't gotten it back.Haven't heard from the dealer since last Wednesday.Calling tomoorow to see where my damn truck is.No loaner!!!! Luck I have a company vehicle!!!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 PM

[:@] The SAGA continues ! My wife won't drive my H3, she thinks the brake pedal may fall off without any warnings. I'm really wondering if my H3 is really an AMC Pacer, instead of what I though I was purchasing...........[]

Old 07-25-2007, 02:37 PM

It's amazing just how clueless some of these dealers are. Not only thatsome seem to have no idea what's going on, but that they're wasting their (and their customer's) time attempting to fix the issue w/o NEW replacement parts. Replacing with the same parts does nothing, as the current steering shaft assembly design is faulty.Thus, until a NEW design is implemented, how can they "fix" it? Crazy.
For anyone watching this thread, here's what I know. My dealer seems to be on top of it as best they can. Which is to say that they, like everyone, are basically waiting for the new steering shaft assembly before doing any more "repairs". Initially, GM had stated that dealers should start receiving the new parts sometime this week, but that appears to have been pushed back. Word has it that the new assembly is being tested and, barring any unforseen issues, will begin to beproduced and distributed in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, no one seems to know how long exactly.
DO NOT waste your time having the dealer look at it or attempt to fix it. If they are aware of what exactly is going on, they should be putting everyone on a list to notify you when the new assembly is in and schedule your service.
If they seem clueless (which would be baffling at this point) as to what is going on- point them to this thread and tell them to get on the ball.
Hope this helps for some that are not getting helpful info from their dealer.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I'm still waiting as well. DOH! At least I got a step further, and was verified that I had the problem Granted, it's nowhere near as bad as you folks, but it's there.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 PM

Got it back today.They replaced the steering shaft.Said the noise might come back and to call if it does.The big suprise was the grinding noise I thought was a front brake problem was a rear axle .They replaced the whole thing!!!! Had lapping compound in the rear and they replaced the whole unit.You think they would have these bugs worked out.I knoe it's a new vehicle ,but what costly warranty work.I remember all the problems with the '97 C5 vette when they first came out.That's why I waited til '99 to get mine.Glad all this stuff is covered!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:09 PM

My H3 was repaired with a "replacement part" a week after it started the same noise but only seems to do it sporadically for now. Waiting for the "new" designed part to come in before I call the dealer back to have it replaced again.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: slammedvette

Said the noise might come back...
Good luck, but it most likely will.
My dealer realized that the"fix" was useless after several people said the prob came back within days. One guy called the same day he picked it up to say that it was still doing it just as bad.
Remember, there seems to be a correlation with the severe clunking and hot weather. I know for a fact that is the case on mine. Cooler days (which there really haven't been any of late), the prob is not there, or is masked. Warm/hot days Ican feel it more. Really hot days it literally feels like the whole fukin front end is going to fall to pieces.
It's also more severe once the vehicle is warmed up. I think that's why some people are leaving the dealer after having the current repair and not noticing immediately that the issue is still there.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 PM

i warned you guys about 'the replacement'. its a nice sentiment, but what's the point? i do love how they're still covering their a$$es saying that it 'MAY' still rattle. so ridiculous!

also still waiting on the phantom redesign...

lil d

Old 07-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Wonder whyour newbie F5Fstop hasn't chimed in on this issue...

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?