Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Hello everyone ! To be honest, the minute I took my H3 to the Hummer dealer to report the problem, the service advisor already knew exacxtly what I was talking about, even before I finished discrebing the problem (this was over a month ago folks). By now the dealers do know about the on-going rattle problem! However, they're still selling the 07 models without a fix to the problem. Also, by now GM should have at least sent out a short letter of explanation (what the hex, what's up with honesty). I have a very good friend who's ready to purchase a new 07- H3, but I had the duty to inform to him of the on-going problem with the steering shaft, etc. Well, he has decided to wait until the problem is corrected before making a purchase. See, I have saved someone......from this mental agony [:@]....As soon as I hear about a real/permanent fix, I will write a country song about it, and I'm going to name it, "clunk and rattle with me."
later !

Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM

1600 miles on my wifes Hummer and now the front end rattle, I spoke to Don at McGinnis in Houston today, he has ordered me a replacement low steering column, he said the he has replaced loads of them and that 8 out of 10 times the replacement part fixes the problem. He also stated that GM are working on redesigning the steering column, but that is months away.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM

Is this only an 07 issue that they are gonna have a replacement for?? I have an 06, 12/05 to be exact and I have had this problem for so long I have been looking at the FJ!!! I love my H3 but I hate to drive it because it sounds like it is going to fall apart not only from the inside but obviously alot louder on the outside!!

Barb

Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 PM

This rattle problem may not became a safety issue recall, but it's already to be considered a GM-H3 virus. The problem with my 07' H3 is getting really, really bad. Not only it feels horrible on your foot as I mentioned many times before, it sounds more like a home water heater with extensive mineral deposit banging all over inside the water tank . Pretty soon I'm going to find myself pushing my H3 at take-off with both of my feet sticking-out right through the floor board like the Flinstone's mobile. GM !!!! what's up?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 AM

Yep same problem here, still very slight but there. Called my dealer here in NJ and this is the first they are hearng of it (duh). I gave him the service doc number 1993018 and he read it, and said to wait for the new part when they come out . Again it is also only days over 95 degrees that you can feel it.
So keep us advised as to when you all start to see the new parts and what the new part numbers are.
Thanks to all on this forum !

Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: wrongway

1600 miles on my wifes Hummer and now the front end rattle, I spoke to Don at McGinnis in Houston today, he has ordered me a replacement low steering column, he said the he has replaced loads of them and that 8 out of 10 times the replacement part fixes the problem. He also stated that GM are working on redesigning the steering column, but that is months away.

Hate to tell you this, but he's pulling your leg. At least in reagrdsto the temp fix working 8 out of 10 times.And possibly on thenew partsstill being months away.
All indications are that the new parts will be avail fairly soon. But really who knows for sure.
There's a prob with the DESIGN (and subsequently the proper function) of the existing steering shaft assembly. All they're doing is swapping out for the same parts, which will never "fix" the problem, but most likely only will mask it temorarily.
Why dealers would want to waste their time and yours bysimply replacing inferior parts with more inferior parts is beyond me. I'll wait until the better parts arrive, thank you very much.
Good luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM

WORD.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 PM

I just bought my H3 last month and felt the rattle right when I left the dealership. I spoke to the service dept. and they said it's their first time hearing this problem. I told them that I didn't want it replaced since it's just going to happen again and that I'll just wait for the new replacement part. Hopefully, the part does come in before the year ends.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

The NEW replacement part is FINALLY out! It was just released this week. I'm going to take mine in next week sometime hopefully. If you guys want a part number for your dealers to look up, I can probably get it for you guys if you'd like.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Yes , the part number would be helpful , also let us know how it works out for you .
Thanks

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?