Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2006 Hummer H3 Adventure Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dylan Rogers
While waiting for parts in the mail, I figured I would change the oil, replace an axle seal, and replace diff fluids in front and rear. While doing so, I decided to triple check the fuses.

Up until today, anytime I have checked fuses, I just looked at the filament (or whatever it is called) inside the fuse. I hadn't thought to look at the blades of the fuse, however. Upon removing the BCM fuse, I noticed some suspicious scorch/arch marks on the blades... I sanded the blades clean, replaced the fuse, and guess what...? The vehicle started and ran with no warnings and everything worked as it had prior to this problem. Total cost: $0.05?

Here's what it looked like:

Corrosion on the blades led to arching and wild electrical problems!
Why all the drama?

Old 04-19-2021, 09:47 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by hummerz
Why all the drama?
I suppose I'll have to give in to your pressure for CRC. I haven't had problems with corrosion on electrical terminals like this in any vehicle I have owned previously (and they've all been from the rust belt except this one). Also the first vehicle I've owned with power mirrors, locks, and windows haha. I'm sure you were hoping this was all due to my questionable door-jamb job.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:46 PM
Default How to Clean MAF Sensor:

Old 04-22-2021, 08:53 PM

Connector neglect.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:44 PM

yep he did

Old 04-23-2021, 06:50 PM
Default Mounted used 35's (ish) & 17x9's from Marketplace for cheap!

Old 04-23-2021, 06:59 PM
Default Spare Tire Mount Upgrade (Foreshadowing)

Here's a sneak peak of the next project I am working on:

Old 04-23-2021, 07:11 PM
Default Impossibly Stuck Inner CV Shaft... HELP!

I started by "playing nice" trying to remove the CV axle in order to replace a moderately leaky axle seal. My initial attempts were gentle pulling with the tap of a hammer, then some gentle prying, then some increasingly aggressive slides with a slide hammer, then using a bigggg pry bar, and then separating the outer part of the axle housing to at least get it off the vehicle to take somewhere.

With it off the vehicle, I detached the inner boot and separated the axle at the spider to have a better chance of fitting it in a press. I brought it to my local machine shop to see if they could press it out. After soaking in penetrating oil for a long while, it still didn't pop free with the force of his hydraulic press.

Tomorrow morning, he's going to try boring out some material from the inner side and give the press another try afterwords to see if it's enough to release it (so I can salvage everything but the small section of axle). If it still doesn't break free, the plan is to fill the bored part with some hot magma (welds) to see if the temperature and shrinking (cooling) weld will assist in getting the splines to break loose.

If it still doesn't budge, my plan is to order a new axle housing (the small outer housing) and re-use the old axle mounting bracket.

Please, let me know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions with this. The differential fluids looks like liquid graphite, so I imagine the fluid hasn't been changed in an extremely long time (along with the CVs).

Old 04-24-2021, 07:16 AM

well never seen this before, already changed my two CV's and they did pop out immediately,by a small pry bar. Maybe that maintaining C clip at the top of the CV is stuck and folded.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by H3Luxembourg
well never seen this before, already changed my two CV's and they did pop out immediately,by a small pry bar. Maybe that maintaining C clip at the top of the CV is stuck and folded.
I'm glad to know yours popped out right away Thanks for you idea, and the C-clip folding is a good thought on what might be happening. I plan on stopping by the machine shop again today for an update on progress. The old diff fluid was really bad looking, so I imagine it is a contributor to the problem of either corrosion or not letting the c-clip pop out.

Quick Reply: 2006 Hummer H3 Adventure Build