Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Don't be fooled by Monsoon upgrade.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by wasatch1
It is a 200watt max power amp (that gets hot with long use) powering crap speakers. Remember "if it's too loud you are too OLD!"
Ha! DUH the amp gets hot? Power conversion produces HEAT! No getting around that. ANY and ALL amplifiers will produce heat.

Crutchfield is a great site to learn about stereos and purchase as well...
This statement explains your 12v audio knowledge to a "T"!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Despite the complexity involved, a properly designed class D amplifier offers the following benefits:
  • Reduction in size and weight of the amplifier,
  • Reduced power waste as heat dissipation and hence smaller (or no) heat sinks,
  • Reduction in cost due to smaller heat sink and compact circuitry,
  • Very high power conversion efficiency, usually better than 90% above one quarter of the amplifier's maximum power, and around 50% at low power levels.
Hmmn looks like they figured it out. So your monsoon amp is 200 watts at max. You are only getting 30% power and the rest is heat. Class D gets 90% efficiency. So maybe 80 watts RMS x 6 or 7 H3/H3T speakers. That is around 20 watts per speaker. Lame...

Buy a true RMS rated class D amp and that 20 could be 100 plus. But you might blow those paper speakers.

Like I said I am just not satisfied with the Monsoon system. Cheers!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 AM

I am replacing mine mostly because many of the newer aftermarket units have built in nav, pandora, iphone capabilities etc and the T doesn't come with even a small sub which is around 30% of the total musical listening field. None of the factory systems even come with an ipod input unless you shell out another 200 for the pal plus having it programmed which is just ridiculous. I don't need a 6 disc changer, a dvd will hold nearly 1,000 mp3's.

I don't recall saying the Monsoon system is 'all that'. For a factory installed system it is pretty decent. If you don't like it replace it.
Actually have someone else replace it so you don't catch your vehicle on fire since your knowledge of car audio is limited to web copy and paste abilities of which you actually know nothing about.
Dude I need some spacers for my doors speakers so they can get more air they aren't breathing enough. You know my 'crap paper' door speakers that blew because I can't hear the distortion when its cranked to the max volume.

'Buy a true RMS rated class D amp and that 20 could be 100 plus. But you might blow those paper speakers.'

Actually class D amps are nearly all subwoofer amps, maybe you can explain why I would hook a mono class D sub amp to my door speakers and NOT expect them to blow??? Class A/B are generally multichannel speaker amps.

Another of your ingenious posts. Buy a book and read, then come back and post something of value when you actually have some real working knowledge (which is currently 0) of the subject you keep going on about.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Also CHP get a flashlight and shine it into your door panel speaker grill. You should notice that the speaker is not very close to the grill. A lot of your sound is going into the door panel and not into the cab.

This plastic spacer (on the net under 6.5" speaker spacer) just moves the speaker closer to the door panel grill, to get more "boom" into the cab. I tried to add a 1" spacer and it was too much and the speaker could rub on the door panel.

Just think of it as a sub in a 1 cubic foot box. If you put that same sub into a 1.5 cubic foot box, the speaker moves in and out more freely giving lower lows and thus more base. This is just a cheap way to feel the music more. If I had the H3 version I would add a quality sub and a quality amp to power it.
a bigger box also "loosens" up the bass reproduction and makes it more sloppy, smaller boxes make the bass tighter. it all depends on what the particular speaker is rated at.

One of these days however, I'd like to stuff a 10" JL Audio into the factory 8" box and drive it with the factory amp to see if there's any improvement. They're rated for a small enclosure so it should do well providing the factory amp has enough ooomph to push it. I will say that just replacing the Monsoon tweeters with the Alpine type-R made a drastic improvement in power handling and clarity. The Monsoons used to snap,crackle,pop when the volume was turned up.

Last edited by heyttsguy; 04-27-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 PM

"Actually have someone else replace it so you don't catch your vehicle on fire since your knowledge of car audio is limited to web copy and paste abilities of which you actually know nothing about."

Thanks good buddy! I have wired in my dual electric fans, 8k winch and led lights. My main stereo amp I will get help with. However, I am installing my new amp/sub combo myself. Also I have found many 4 or 5 channel class D amps and will replace the Monsoon one when I get a chance.

I did find a blessing though, in a sub/amp box from Kicker! Very much so for us "T" owners especially since there is no room for any subs under the seats. It is a Kicker Hideaway ($300) rated at 150watts RMS! but I wanted two... They will run into my aftermarket head unit with extra RCA jacks ($15). Another bonus is they come with remote adjusters mounted on the dash, so I can turn them from 0 to 11.

This is going to be one of the best systems I have ever owned! I can't wait to power them up. Of course that's next week due to yard sprinkler issues etc... lol Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails Don't be fooled by Monsoon upgrade.-100_2384.jpg   Don't be fooled by Monsoon upgrade.-100_2386.jpg   Don't be fooled by Monsoon upgrade.-100_2390.jpg   Don't be fooled by Monsoon upgrade.-100_2391.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 AM

"Actually class D amps are nearly all subwoofer amps, maybe you can explain why I would hook a mono class D sub amp to my door speakers and NOT expect them to blow??? Class A/B are generally multichannel speaker amps.
Another of your ingenious posts. Buy a book and read, then come back and post something of value when you actually have some real working knowledge (which is currently 0) of the subject you keep going on about." errrrr d-bag...

You and your brother, really are a rude and bitter old men. I would love to click and paste all of the companies that make 4/5 channel class D amps, but that would upset you! Maybe a book is in order for you sir...

You keep going on about what you WANT to do to your system, meanwhile, I am doing it... It's called ACTION! Something you know nothing about.

Last edited by wasatch1; 04-30-2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM

Actually as stated earlier I got everything I needed late last week and mine is done, However I do not usually waste my time taking detailed pictures and write ups of my weekend projects to impress a bunch of people on a forum when I have better things to do. I leave that to other people that like to do it and laugh at idiots like you who pretend to know what they are talking about.
Still waiting on that post of value princess..........

Old 09-04-2018, 01:44 PM

Just my 2 cents but the Monsoon in my 08 H3 is the best sound I have ever had in a vehicle...wouldn't change it at all. My only issue is that I need to add hands free phone & streaming - then everything would be perfect...

Old 09-05-2018, 01:06 AM

WoW! Lol!
This got be the oldest fossil dug up yet...
Pls for the love of all things Hummer link... To a new thread...

Old 09-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by designasaurus
Just my 2 cents but the Monsoon in my 08 H3 is the best sound I have ever had in a vehicle...wouldn't change it at all. My only issue is that I need to add hands free phone & streaming - then everything would be perfect...
Just had to let us know that in a 6 YEAR Old + thread? Oh boy!