Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Don't be fooled by Monsoon upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
im still trying to figure your setup.
did u keep the monsoon amp in the back?
is that still driving your speakers?
the 6 pairs of speaker wires still go from sp to monsoon amp? (= the woofer in back)?
you said you are not selling the monsoon amp?
im actually playing with an idea of testing an old very good radio that has built in usb and sd card reader so i am curious just how you interfaced with the speakers
DrTom,

All you need is a Metra GMOS-04 to interface any aftermarket head unit with the Monsoon system. The GMOS-04 will plug-in to the factory wire harness and then you plug the GMOS-04 into your head unit. In case you are wondering how this works, on one end of the GMOS-04 there are adapters that plug into your factory wire harness. On the other end there are RCA plugs that plug into the aftermarket head unit. And the great thing about this is you retain factory chimes, blutooth, and OnStar. So you can get a head unit w/out bluetooth and use the factory installed bluetooth. I highly recommend this as opposed to cutting apart your factory wire harness and splicing into it. You can also easily revert everything back to stock when you sell you truck. And just in case anyone is wondering, for those that don't have a Monsoon you need a GMOS-01 to do this.

PS: If anyone has any questions on the audio system wiring, stock XM wiring, Monsoon Amps and speakers of the H3's you can shoot me a PM. I did a ton of research before I installed my new system and basically took off all the panels of the car and know the wiring for the audio like the back of my hand. See I have the non-monsoon model but was planning on a DIY upgrade to the monsoon and actually bought all the pieces (6 disc player, amp, sub, side panel, etc ...) and figured out how to do it but decided aginst it and just went with all aftermarket stuff so I know a lot about both systems.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

hey,i found an "04" for $39 so ill try it. you may know ive tuned in to these posts over the years and really wasnt interested in changing the 6 disk that i really like. but i thought it would be fun to try my old favorite "vr3" ill miss the 6 disk changer but the vr has usb,and an sd slot for mp3 and others and even an ext jack and one cd of course. its 1/2 height so i might get my 2 way ham rig in there too.
the vr has just 2 line outputs and 4 speaker outs,fr/rr. i have an old scosche fa1 3a box i might try for line driving the monsoon,huh?
i dont like using speaker output to drive an amp!
anyway its just something to mess with. ill see how i like it.

Last edited by drtom; 04-19-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM
CHP

Originally Posted by wasatch1
Also CHP get a flashlight and shine it into your door panel speaker grill. You should notice that the speaker is not very close to the grill. A lot of your sound is going into the door panel and not into the cab.

This plastic spacer (on the net under 6.5" speaker spacer) just moves the speaker closer to the door panel grill, to get more "boom" into the cab. I tried to add a 1" spacer and it was too much and the speaker could rub on the door panel.

Just think of it as a sub in a 1 cubic foot box. If you put that same sub into a 1.5 cubic foot box, the speaker moves in and out more freely giving lower lows and thus more base. This is just a cheap way to feel the music more. If I had the H3 version I would add a quality sub and a quality amp to power it.
Thank you - I understand now.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 AM

OP (Original Poster): OK, let me get this stright.

You are saying that you do not have a separate remote mounted amplifier in your H3T that is equipped with the Monsoon System?

You said you are running your speakers from your Aftermarket head units "mosfet" amplifier? Did you rewire the entire system from the Aftermarket head unit to each door speaker to acheive this? Or just plug in a GMOS to Aftermarket style adaptor?

Where did you pull the below information from? Out of thin air?
"Just think of it as a sub in a 1 cubic foot box. If you put that same sub into a 1.5 cubic foot box, the speaker moves in and out more freely giving lower lows and thus more base. This is just a cheap way to feel the music more. If I had the H3 version I would add a quality sub and a quality amp to power it."

Very confused by most of your comments.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 AM

The factory H3T monsoon stereo supplies all of the power (watts) to all 6 speakers. There is no separate amp. The rears, however are 6x9s instead of the H3s 6.5s. I guess they figured the smaller cab didn't need or couldn't fit a separate amp, and sub that the H3 has.

I had the new system installed by a local company. They put in a new head unit and cut off the factory speaker plugs with terminals used in almost all stereo systems.

Now, the new stereo (head unit) still powers all 6 speakers, but with more clarity and solid watts per channel. It really was a great upgrade.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Banned

but,,but,,but,,you showed a picture of the 6 disc monsoon head unit for sale. its the same as mine! it has no amplifier for the 6 speakers. the 4 pairs of wires are lowlevel that go to a rear amp in my h3. now you say the monsoon head unit drives all 6 speakers.
i gotta go look at that pix. is it really the cd changer? if so it has no speaker outputs!!

your story is getting more confusing.
thats why my previous post had questions,,,you didnt answer

10 am edit; it is the 6 cd head,no speaker outputs. i spent an hour searching for h3t specs. you can get a monsoon in an h3t,ok.
so your installers either took it out and drove the spks with the new head,OR, just coupled the new head to the hidden monsoon amp
if there was no amp id like to know what drove your speakers b4 you got there.
i know taint dont read my posts but im sure he will comment,AND he knows the h3t!!
ill be waiting

Last edited by drtom; 04-20-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

The H3T has 6x9s in the rear doors because they are not cut out for the rear tire/wheel well of the H3. The full size door has more room for a bigger speaker.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM

The amp for the monsoon system in the H3T is behind the rear cab panel on the passengers side. It's pretty clear you have no idea what you are talking about. The door speakers do not need any more 'cubic foot volume'. You will want the gmos-100 for the 3T so you can keep the backup cam, if you have it among other things.
I am putting a system in a 3T next week. I've already done that actual homework, not guesswork.
Drtom, you might want to save your money on that changer, who knows what it went through....

Last edited by talusfan; 04-20-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned
Default zowie!!

this came up while i was typing my previous post!!,,if you can sort out the time.

yeah im not buying nuttin!!

Originally Posted by talusfan
The amp for the monsoon system in the H3T is behind the rear cab panel on the passengers side. It's pretty clear you have no idea what you are talking about. The door speakers do not need any more 'cubic foot volume'. You will want the gmos-100 for the 3T so you can keep the backup cam, if you have it among other things.
I am putting a system in a 3T next week. I've already done that actual homework, not guesswork.
Drtom, you might want to save your money on that changer, who knows what it went through....
thanks for clearing up the mystery amp!!

Last edited by drtom; 04-20-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM

For the visually impaired

Quick Reply: Don't be fooled by Monsoon upgrade.