Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Converted my H3 to LS3 Monster!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist
Tranny problems continue. After another rebuild we've added an additional trans cooler running in series with the first one. Going to monitor trans temps which have been running about 230. I'm hoping we can keep it under 200.
Christian, I'm curious... what failed on this recent transmission?

Old 11-12-2020, 02:15 PM

i wonder if they kept transferring the torque converter between replacements. that's usually a bad idea. or not flushing the coolers and lines. also no bueno.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:35 PM
Default LS3 swap

Hey, I was wondering if you would be willing to talk more directly. My engine just blew and I am trying to figure out what is needed to make this swap happen.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dpotter
Hey, I was wondering if you would be willing to talk more directly. My engine just blew and I am trying to figure out what is needed to make this swap happen.
It is not a bolt in, and unless you are going to do it yourself, it will cost more than it is worth. Replace the I5, sell it, buy an Alpha.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dpotter
I'd advise a complete review of what I've posted so far. I love my unique H3 but really it's not practical as equipped. This last tranny is a specific GM performance part under GM warrantee (only one year and one failure already so that's not going to be fixed another time. We did determine that it seemed we needed more trans cooling so we added that. I've been doing zero WOT operation but I sure don't drive like a granny either. My advise would be use the lowest power LS3 crate you can put in there and build the crap out of the tranny. It might be reliable but of course not as fast. It would beat an alpha though.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 PM

I would say that your transmission issue is due to the lack of software tuning, it doesn't matter what components you place in the trans if you haven't commanded higher pressure, quicker shifts it will burn up (as you stated higher heat during operation) the 4l60E trans is not weak with the right combination of good parts and proper tuning. I have used them in 800+ ftlb applications

Old 05-08-2021, 03:50 PM

I think a reputable trans builder will upgrade the boost valve and servos on a 4l60 for a more performance oriented setup. At this point, tuning isnt a major issie. Issue is you have a 500 hp engine trying to move a 6000 lb brick through 4 tires using 4WD. Too much power, too much weight, lots of parts, alot of grip. Look at the tbss forums, a 4l80 isnt a strange upgrade for those guys and they are 1000 lb lighter and generally 2WD.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by amrg
I think a reputable trans builder will upgrade the boost valve and servos on a 4l60 for a more performance oriented setup. At this point, tuning isnt a major issie. Issue is you have a 500 hp engine trying to move a 6000 lb brick through 4 tires using 4WD. Too much power, too much weight, lots of parts, alot of grip. Look at the tbss forums, a 4l80 isnt a strange upgrade for those guys and they are 1000 lb lighter and generally 2WD.
That's true but the 4l80 for the truck guys and 2wd rigs are MUCH easier to swap lol. A little more work for us to be able to run them so I said f**k it and am in the process of bulletproofing (hopefully) the 4l60e as much as it can be. Want to avoid multiple tranny failures like Christian, still don't know what failed on his other than it running a little hot.

Old 05-15-2021, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by gpcalero
That's true but the 4l80 for the truck guys and 2wd rigs are MUCH easier to swap lol. A little more work for us to be able to run them so I said f**k it and am in the process of bulletproofing (hopefully) the 4l60e as much as it can be. Want to avoid multiple tranny failures like Christian, still don't know what failed on his other than it running a little hot.
if i can dissuade you from beefing the 4l60 I would. I had my trans rebuilt 3 times, and I still dont trust it. The OP went with a 4l75e from GMPP and it apparently failed (i think what he has 3 or 4 trans now?). Even the guy who started the ls376/480 frenzy with his lifted H3T said he had it rebuilt and upgraded and still failed. If the CM and driveshafts are your concern, then a 6l80e is your other choice. No drive shaft upgrades, you will need a tcase adapter, an output shaft, wiring harness and an advanced bench programmer. I wish I went that direction from the start, stronger trans and more gears!

Old 08-18-2021, 09:58 PM
Default I5 dead during the pandemic

Can’t find a remanufactured i5. 6 months h3 down. Local mechanic says go LS3. I have a 2010 H3 standard transmission. Will the LS3 fit this transmission? Just want a daily driver and to rebuild my h3. Looks like other recommendations need to include new fans for cooling.