PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke down...make me feel better

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Default Broke down...make me feel better

hi all,

got some bad news: my h3 is on the verge of crapping out . i drove out to el paso last week to visit family and comb the desert. i went out tonight for one final run before heading back tomorrow. ran into a blinking check engine light and near stalling. felt like there was getting 0 compression. the engine was sounding very airy over the weekend, but i thought maybe it was just the heat. anyways, i jumped out to take a look and the engine, tranny, drive shaft were all rattling as engine was fighting(and sputtering)to stay at 500 rpms. when i pushed on the gas, there was a very long delay. then, it would finally start moving. kinda felt like 1st was a problem too. fortunately when all this occurred, i was only 3 miles from my folks' place. called on-star and their diagnostic said it was an emissions issue (?). they didnt have anymore detail. so, im planning on towing it to the local hummer dealership tomorrowas im afraid to drive it and screw it up even more. btw, i spent a lot of time in the sand...not sure if that was the cause.

any ideas as to what the problem might be? im hoping to get a little peace of mind until they tell me what's going on. its really frustrating/disappointing to have this kind of issue w/ only 5K miles. please tell me i was right in not buying a 4runner [sm=bangbang.gif].

Lil D [sm=smiley18.gif]

Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Default RE: Broke down...make me feel better

You didn't say what year but I trust you are still under warranty. I've read there have been issues with the valves and heads on this engine. It usually happens at 5,000+ miles.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 AM

I agree with Bob here...But it shouldn't be too bad of a deal to get fixed...hang in there.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 AM

Be encouraged by the factthat OnStar did NOT say you had a misfire code ! ! !

My money is on a clogged CAT or some sort of sensor issue. (like I would know)

With all that bouncing and jarring we went through down at Glen Rose, I'm surprised I didn't
knock something loose on mine. You didn't hit a rock or something that might have put a
big *** dent in your exhaust or something did you? Back into a berm and load up the exhaust
tips with sand or mud?

Maybe an "Aggie" with malicious intent or a rogue "Tea Sipper" pulled the old tater up the tail pipe trick on ya.....

Well, at least Hummer Roadside Assistance should take care of the tow and Sewell will
set you up in a nice new H3 to get you around till the repair is complete. Which is
something I DON'T believe you'd be getting with a 4runner.

Good luck with it Dave and keep us posted.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Be encouraged by the factthat OnStar did NOT say you had a misfire code ! ! !

My money is on a clogged CAT or some sort of sensor issue. (like I would know)

With all that bouncing and jarring we went through down at Glen Rose, I'm surprised I didn't
knock something loose on mine. You didn't hit a rock or something that might have put a
big *** dent in your exhaust or something did you? Back into a berm and load up the exhaust
tips with sand or mud?

Maybe an "Aggie" with malicious intent or a rogue "Tea Sipper" pulled the old tater up the tail pipe trick on ya.....

Well, at least Hummer Roadside Assistance should take care of the tow and Sewell will
set you up in a nice new H3 to get you around till the repair is complete. Which is
something I DON'T believe you'd be getting with a 4runner.

Good luck with it Dave and keep us posted.
Good tips Gunner. I didn't think of the OnStar free diagnostic service. That could potentially provide immediate feedback.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 AM

thanks for the words of encouragement guys. not sure what the situation is, but i definitely think it has something to do w/ the sand. i started it this morning and it idled a little better, but was still tough to start and continued to sputter. also, i noticed a really strong gassy smell, which tells me its not burning the fuel properly [:'(]. the tow truck guy dropped it off at the dealer about an hour ago. followed him to the dealership and talked to the service guy. he said they're going to give me priority since i'm an out-of-towner trying to get back.

mark, since im still in EP, i had to take it to Bravo Hummer. im not sure how im going to get back to dallas just yet (i.e. steal my parents' ride or fly back and get a sewell loaner). however, i am sure that the problems were caused by AunM (f)aggie gremlins .

btw, if the problem was caused by off-roading in the sand, then is the vehicle still covered under the warranty? my initial thought is 'yes' since that's what the freaking thing was designed to do.

lil d

ps darth- 2007 h3 w/ about 5K miles

Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: dmb7280
ps darth- 2007 h3 w/ about 5K miles
Hmmmm..5,000 miles. If it turns out to be the valve/heads it could tie your Hummer up for a while.[]

Old 06-26-2007, 10:33 AM

PS; I really believe you didn't hurt yourself buy this H3 instead of a 4Runner...B-O-R-I-N-G

Now that you mentioned it's the 07 model..My money is on the MAF as to being the culprit.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 AM

crap! on a 2007 though? good lord, don't tell me i'm the guinea pig again on yetanother 07 problem (i.e. steering shaft). i dont like being a pioneer for problems...

Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 AM

Sounds like the dreaded head replacement issue to me as this is pretty much exactly what happened to me on a 2000 mile RT to the mountains. Difference was I was able to drive it back home - but, very roughly ( some H3's with this issue have been driveable - some have not.) I hopethis is not it for you- but all sounds very familiar to me (with exception to I got no "check engine" light) Onstar said same thing...diagnostics show you have an "emmissions issue." Good luck and remember to INSIST on a loaner and then start that extended warranty process IF it turns out to be the head issue (GOOD LUCK WITH THAT TOOTHO ASI HAVE YET TO RECEIVE MY PROMISED EXT WARR AT MONTH #8 NOW)...at this point there is NO excuse forthis problemto exist in the 07's!

Quick Reply: Broke down...make me feel better