Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Converted my H3 to LS3 Monster!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Engine Man
im doing one for a cutomer and running into clearence issues with oil pan which oil pan did you go with
You have to use an LH8, LH9, or an Oldsmobile oil pan...... thought everybody knew that?

Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 AM

That and also a pickup tube (or modify the one you have)
And get the exhaust manifolds too as they are unique

Old 08-08-2019, 08:33 PM

the alpha tidbits would not be a direct fit in these cases?

Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 AM

The 08/09 use the LH8 while the 10' uses the LH9. Yes the alpha parts can be used and they should as they make life much easier.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:43 PM

Isn't it possible to use the engine fan AND a large pusher fan in front of the A/C condenser to combat the overheating? I remember seeing a photo on here with a H3 from middle east / Australia that had a large OEM fan fitted like this. I am not sure if those vehicle had A/C, but I would think yes.

Visually comparing it to my '08 Alpha, the overseas H3 seemed to have a different vertical piece coming down from the hood lock. As is, it does not seem that I could mount a single large fan in front of my A/C condenser because of the USA market hood-lock vertical piece. There is not enough space between the A/C condenser and the vertical piece.

Can anyone confirm if these vertical pieces are different, USA versus Australian built?

Old 08-12-2019, 01:26 AM

They are the same....
The SA built models use a dual pusher fan setup, a 10" and an 8" spal medium duty fans. They arent the strongest but they do the job of pushing air infront of the condensor to improve ac performance. Also pcm controller individually by 2 parameters, ac pressure and engine coolant temps. I would recommend a single spal 16" fan, will tightly fit behind the support (or slightly need trimmed the back of the support) and offer maximum ac condensor coverage. I tried it once and it gave me freezing ac in 115*
As for running a clutch fan on an LS3, the main issue is that the "car intake" sits lower by 4" putting the intake tube in the way of the clutch fan blades. You can either space out the fan (use a ford clutch) to clear the tube but now the fan sits too close to the radiator (and if you have a thicker dual core radiator, wont fit).
The other option is to revert back to a truck intake setup, requiring truck intake fuel rails. It sits at the stock H3 alpha height. The tube will barely clear the clutch blades which is enough.

Intake tube clearance issue on a car intake (my vehicle)

Truck vs car intake height difference:

Old 08-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Latest update... That 4LE60 Trans has died again and I've never done a wide-open throttle with it. Lasted maybe 8k miles. Since my local rebuilder has tried 3 times and failed even though he claims he's using all the performance parts I'm ordering a custom built purple tranny specked out for 500 HP. We will see how this one does. Of course I'm pretty upset about the additional expense but that's what happens when you do these custom mods...

Old 08-14-2019, 03:05 PM

Yeah those transmissions dont hold up at all. I dont know how they did behind an H2. Yes they make 100 less hp but they are 1500 pounds heavier!

I have already done 3 rebuilds! Shldve went with a 6l80 from the start (yes its not straight forward but its rated for more torque).

Good luck and keep us posted

Old 08-14-2019, 04:18 PM

H2 uses the 4l65E not the 4l60 the 4l65E is a bit more robust and I think uses a 3/8" deeper torque converter from what I understand but not as stout as the 4l80

Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM

Quick Reply: Converted my H3 to LS3 Monster!!