Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

AC Blower fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM

Dr. Tom, I finally got time to work on my blower problem, again. Ended up taking out the blower and connecting 12v direct and it works. Now what? I'm not sure how to do what you suggestedwith "the sw should ground the res wires for various speeds
just use a wire from ground to any res wire to check the motor
" and "there is an open in the -,ground side,sw,res conn?".
I checked the voltage on the harness at the motor suply ans it ~11.5 at speed settings 1, 2, 3. Any ideas?

Last edited by Ole Yeller; 11-15-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned
Default back up

reassemble as it was.

read and follow what i said,ground the wires on the resistor assm.

if motor dont spin the switch or wires are bad.

the small device on the end of res assm is a one time thermal fuse.
if its open nothing will work .

if one side of it is grounded and motor spins it is bad.

try to go step by step.
u should find the open circuit

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Default Run blower on 3 or 4

My 2007 H3 blower went out too and looked exactly like the burnt pic on this thread. My buddy is a airplane electrician and I showed him the fix and he did it for me real quick using connectors. One thing he did agree is that it was a design flaw, he wanted to look up the wiring diagram to find out the real problem but he didn't have the time. One recomendation he had was to run the fan on higher speeds, 3 or 4 because the resistor would run cooler. He said running the fan on lower speed would require more resistance which would mean more heat. Too much heat is the problem.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks guys! This was kicking my ***, now it's fixed. Just hope this flaw doesn't cause a wiring fire down the road.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by slumlord
Ok, I earmarked this just in case it ever happened and this weekend the number 4 position on the blower quit working. It's fine 1 - 3 but go to highest #4 and it just quits. Is this the fix for that? Best I could tell this fix was if the blower quit altogether.. One and the same?
My 06 does the same thing slumlord...I am going to do some recon tomorrow so I'll be sure to update...Great thread!!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by slumlord
Ok, I earmarked this just in case it ever happened and this weekend the number 4 position on the blower quit working. It's fine 1 - 3 but go to highest #4 and it just quits. Is this the fix for that? Best I could tell this fix was if the blower quit altogether.. One and the same?

It sounds like the relay. There is a relay right under the glove box that is there just for #4...high...check to see if it came unplugged. With ignition on, turn the switch to high...just alternate between 3 and 4 and listen for the clicking sound of that relay. If you don't hear it, it may be bad. This of course is assuming that the faulty plug to the resistor is okay and all 5 terminals are making good contact.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:49 PM

well slumlord just pulled my plug and transistor and it has two burnt prongs...Guess I'll be doing the fix tonight.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Harley100th
This just happened to me yesterday '06 H3 in dallas.......106degrees and a CUSTOMER WITH ME.....we COOKED !
Question
So I dont need to buy the resistor and harness? Just resolder?

part number:12059296 - $5.25
and
Part number 10397098 - $21.75

You just saved me 300-400 at the local Hummer shop

a six pack is owed. Thanks
THose part #'s what are they or at least the top one?? I entered the bottom and it pulle Resistor B is this the exact replacement for the part? Thanks

EDIT: I located those parts, so thank you very much!!

Last edited by cshsrh; 12-12-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Default Thanks for the write-ups!

Originally Posted by b622r
Great info...I took a little different approach. I cleaned the contact. I soldered a wire onto the one terminal only. I drilled out the melted plastic male connector and removed the wire. Then I plugged it back together with the wire running through the enlarged whole and connected it to the source wire.
Mine just went out yesterday and used this thread to fix it today. I love this site. THANKS!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Thumbs up Thank you!!!!

Craig and RCactec - Thank you for the help - it was easy and worth the time to do this. I would recommend that you check all connection. Once I had it reconnected and I did not have all the speeds (top speed did not come on). To resolve this, I made certain all connections on the wire harness were seated properly (other than the resistor connections) and this resolved the problem. Again, thank you!!!! Also, I thoroughly cleaned the plastic melt around the terminal - both sides - to ensure a stronger and cleaner connection. CAUTION - if you test the fan before you place the resistor back into the blower motor - DO NOT TOUCH IT or you will BURN your fingers - OUCH!

Quick Reply: AC Blower fix