PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:55 PM

I'm running bilsteins without extended bump stops and the only time I wish I had them is under severe braking conditions. I'm at 24" in the front and only notice it when really getting on my brakes.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by rsc
I would keep the stock Adventure shocks over the Ranchos. Especially if leveled or lifted at all, the Ranchos are 1/2" shorter in extended length than the stock shocks. A couple of folks running them have broken them from offroading. The Adventure shocks are firmer than the standard H3 shocks, I can't remember if they are a smidge longer than stock but I doubt it.
After leveling (24"), my original shocks were too short and I have a 2007 adventure H3.
My new Ranchos are now long enought!
The ones I have now are for 1.5-2" lifted H3's (front and rear)

Ranchos are not cheaper than Bilsteins...they are all in the same range.
I didn't choose the Bilsteins as I wanted a softer ride. The 35" Dura Tracs already took some comfort compared to the original tires.
As I said already before the ride quality now with the Ranchos is good, but I doubt that you would, on a lifted with 35" equiped H3, feel the difference... common we have torsion bars and leaf springs...not really the high end suspension available 2011!

One thing I have to mention what I didn't like so much...the welding on the Ranchos ..."Made in USA" (sorry guys!)!
I don't know if Bilstein is there better...?
The lower ring for connecting the shocks is welded like somebody spit on it...not a nice welding seem. Maybe it is strong enough...maybe not...only time will show!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 AM

so with everything said.....if I were to go with say the Bilstein HD's would that be an upgrade from the stock adventure shocks or make no difference..also keep in mind my rig is stock with no lift.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaymazurk
so with everything said.....if I were to go with say the Bilstein HD's would that be an upgrade from the stock adventure shocks or make no difference..also keep in mind my rig is stock with no lift.
The million dollar question....I have an 08 Adventure and the shocks are good....will be changing mine soon as well....our fun here is in the big dunes so no slow crawling so quite a different market.....interested in the feedback.....may be going for fox piggy back next....but on the whole been very satisfied with the stock....

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sandkiwi
The million dollar question....I have an 08 Adventure and the shocks are good....will be changing mine soon as well....our fun here is in the big dunes so no slow crawling so quite a different market.....interested in the feedback.....may be going for fox piggy back next....but on the whole been very satisfied with the stock....
If you're going to be doing a lot of dune running a remote resi may be your best bet. I heard Bilsteins has a remote resi 5150 application for our trucks now but your best bet may be to give them a call and ask.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
In my opinion Bilstein makes all around awesome shocks for just about every application. You'll find them on everything from finely tuned race cars, to luxury vehicles, to trucks like ours.

In my humble opinion the only thing better is a good set of remote res fox shocks but I'll never put a set of fox's to good use enough to justify the price.

They don't cost a tad more than rancho, pro comp, tuff country, etc for no reason.
True story. I had the DRM Bilsteins on my C6 before I went to coilovers. Really, really good shocks.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Draketh
If you're going to be doing a lot of dune running a remote resi may be your best bet. I heard Bilsteins has a remote resi 5150 application for our trucks now but your best bet may be to give them a call and ask.
Thanks, will have a look at them too, appreciate the heads up....