PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought new tires, getting robbed by installers? Need shocks, too? What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Angry Bought new tires, getting robbed by installers? Need shocks, too? What to do?

I wish I knew how to use this site better and could have had half of my brain working well enough to have been on here getting help every second through this tire debacle!

Okay, so I bought some tires for $1700 (which was insanely difficult because the 37x12.5x17 was nowhere to be found in Vegas!) and everyone told me they could put them on. The only ones available at the time were BFG All Terrain. Of course all tire places lied saying they could install them. I went with Discount Tire because they found the tires first. They took one off and realized they needed a special tool to take some of the tires off (uh okay), so they called a million places and apparently the set of tools for CTIS costs $2k and was stolen from hummer dealership & they didn't see need to buy it again because car is so rare.

Finally the discount tire guys said they found "Ted Wein Tires" and they could do it but only one guy actually knew how to do it and his name was "Ryan" & gave me the #. I called "Ryan" and said "now please tell me you are the one guy in town who knows how to do this because everyone says they can do it and then they can't." He assured me he was the little hummer tire wizard they all spoke of and I made an appointment and had to tip the guys to bring the tires across town, etc, and then he told me (as did the discount tire guys who got all info and quote for me, too, for installation) that it would be $150 total for installation and nothing was warrantied but their work, etc.

After all this drama I finally get up to Ted Wein for my appointment and then they see my car and immediately the story changed. They told me that I was talking to a salesperson who didnt know what he was talking about and that it is actually 1+ hrs of labor on each tire, and would therefor be $150/tire =$600 for installation.

Okay so I'm asking you guys if this is real or just a case of Vegas scamming which seems to NEVER END?! If they have the tools how come it takes 1.5hrs for each tire? Something just really doesn't feel right. Then they gave me some weird run around stories about who actually knew how to do the tires and had done it before. I just dont believe a word they said at Ted Wein.

Also, I think my shocks are bad, so if that is the case, dont I really need to get them fixed first or at the same time as the tires? Could I just get the tires now and then the shocks in a month without having to remove tires or pay a fortune to do it? The shocks are undoubtedly causing uneven wear, but they are working with two sizes of tires, too, because the idiot who sold me the car had 37x13.5x17 on front and 12.5s in the back! I'm afraid for anyone to touch my baby after all of this!

Any help so greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone knows of someone in Vegas who knows someone trustworthy to help me or work on shocks or tires, please contact me! Thanks!

Last edited by Perantes; 12-05-2011 at 05:45 PM.