Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   new shocks (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/new-shocks-25395/)

jaymazurk 09-13-2011 08:21 AM

new shocks

So I was looking to replace my shocks on my '08 H3 adventure....not so much because I need new ones but I saw a decent deal on some Rancho RS5000's. Does anyone know if these would be considered an upgrade from the stock shocks or am I better off with sticking with current stock unless I really needed them replaced?

Doc Olds 09-13-2011 08:29 AM

I wouldn't put Ranchos on mine, they are not what they used to be.

Bullwheel 09-13-2011 08:32 AM

Just updated to the Ranchos and like them...
I had to upgrade cause of the leveling (front) and shakle lift (rear).

If you keep the original height I think you could also keep the stock ones as long they last...

rsc 09-13-2011 01:59 PM

I would keep the stock Adventure shocks over the Ranchos. Especially if leveled or lifted at all, the Ranchos are 1/2" shorter in extended length than the stock shocks. A couple of folks running them have broken them from offroading. The Adventure shocks are firmer than the standard H3 shocks, I can't remember if they are a smidge longer than stock but I doubt it.

kshummer 09-13-2011 02:30 PM

So where do I find adventure shocks??? Can I go to the local Autozone or O'relly's and tell them I have and H3 Adventure and they will hook me up? Thanks in advance!

Draketh 09-13-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by kshummer (Post 260258)
So where do I find adventure shocks??? Can I go to the local Autozone or O'relly's and tell them I have and H3 Adventure and they will hook me up? Thanks in advance!

Forget that, if you're buying shocks spend a little extra and get Bilsteins you won't regret it. I just put four new 5100's on my rig and I have to say I'm happier with this than any other modification I've done to my rig.

kshummer 09-13-2011 03:23 PM

Everywhere I turn, people keep saying Bilstien, bilstein, bilstein. Are they really that good? I'm asking honestly here. I don't do alot of offroading so I'm looking for the best ride I can get with my leveled H3. So, honestly, is that the best way to go?? Thanks in advance!

Draketh 09-13-2011 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by kshummer (Post 260264)
Everywhere I turn, people keep saying Bilstien, bilstein, bilstein. Are they really that good? I'm asking honestly here. I don't do alot of offroading so I'm looking for the best ride I can get with my leveled H3. So, honestly, is that the best way to go?? Thanks in advance!

In my opinion Bilstein makes all around awesome shocks for just about every application. You'll find them on everything from finely tuned race cars, to luxury vehicles, to trucks like ours.

In my humble opinion the only thing better is a good set of remote res fox shocks but I'll never put a set of fox's to good use enough to justify the price.

They don't cost a tad more than rancho, pro comp, tuff country, etc for no reason.

kshummer 09-13-2011 04:15 PM

Sounds like a winner! Thanks again! I'm guessing since I have not changed my bumpstops(dampeners), I will just the leveling kit with shocks and bump stops.

rsc 09-13-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by kshummer (Post 260264)

Not having installed them, I honestly couldn't say. But, I do know that I've only heard 2 or 3 people who disliked the Bilsteins vs everyone else. One guy said they faded quickly and the rest just did not like the (cushier) ride. Of course most any old shock will seem good at first if you are comparing them to worn out shocks.