PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Holes in the hood for airflow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
The heat gage in a healthy,normal vehicle/h3, should go up to the normal point when the engine has stabilized and never move.
If it goes up it can only mean that the thermostat is open and even then the fan/rad cannot cool the coolant because the outside air is too hot or youre sitting still. A rare thing.
without a tstat the eng will run cool and never reach proper temp as designed,with the proper tstat.
So unless you are boiling over or reading actual over temp I think you are over reacting to a nonexistant problem.
I repeat the question,?:has anyone ever had a h3 boil over"? when it had no other problem to cause it.
You are ignoring the simple suggestion of simply pulling the rubber hood seal in the rear and let the air blow out . You could also lift the hood rear a slight amount and not see it.
I need proof that the problem exists!
Mine actually turns off my AC. It says engine hot AC off or something like that. Nothing is wrong with my truck i've brought it in. I've seen a few do this. It sucks when your AC is off and its 107 out by the way. Its also not uncommon to see a car with no hood here in Tucson AZ. Yes it will keep your car from overheating.

Last edited by sandwich2; 08-28-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 AM

I've noticed that the temp indicator tends to stay right in the middle area until outside temp hits around 100.

Attached Thumbnails Holes in the hood for airflow!-photo.jpg  

Last edited by sandwich2; 08-28-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 PM

My temp gauge also does the same here in fl. If it is 85 degrees or less outside it stays at half if it gets up anywhere above 90 outside it runs up to the 3/4 mark but no issues to mention when that happens. These vehicles were meant to be driven hard off road and with that they have been equipped well in my opinion to handle anything I've thrown at it.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
rsc

I couldn't get any of my buddies to go wheeling when it was over 100 outside. But then Jeeps usually dont run the a/c on the trail! I do worry about crawling around offroad for a couple of hours, which is basically all under 20mph, and watching the temp get hotter and hotter with no chance to get air moving through the engine bay. I will see if I can get some higher temps this weekend when I have a scangauge hooked up and do some measurements. I think it will be a skewed test because I'm trying to keep the motor cool when its over a hundred outside, but it might get to 98 friday so we'll see.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
I couldn't get any of my buddies to go wheeling when it was over 100 outside. But then Jeeps usually dont run the a/c on the trail! I do worry about crawling around offroad for a couple of hours, which is basically all under 20mph, and watching the temp get hotter and hotter with no chance to get air moving through the engine bay. I will see if I can get some higher temps this weekend when I have a scangauge hooked up and do some measurements. I think it will be a skewed test because I'm trying to keep the motor cool when its over a hundred outside, but it might get to 98 friday so we'll see.
You've taken some beating over this mod you did.
If you like it and it keeps your rig cooler, all the better
If you're happy with it, that's all that counts.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM
rsc

It was 98 today so I plugged in the scangauge. On the gauge 1/2 is about 190, a needle width over (where it normally runs at 90 deg and no a/c) is 200 degrees. On the hwy at 75 mph and 100 degrees I'm normally seeing a needle width under 3/4 which equals 220-223F and 230 is just a hair over the 3/4 mark. Havent hit 230 yet, but just right under it on the hwy. I'll have to take more measurements with the temps at 100 and the louvers blocked off and with them open to see what the temp differences are as well as what under hood/intake temps are this weekend.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM

Just a thought if anyone is that concerned with the operating temps of their vehicles you could always set up. System to spray water on your radiator as you're driving which would cool the temp and allow the air being drawn in to cool the water in the radiator more than usual but of course this could cause a little steam but if its just a quick squirt and you're driving when doing this I don't think any steam would come out of the hood or anything like that.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Wow man. That's slick! I like it!