PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

k&n-mass airflow sensor-fu'd cat converters

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Default k&n-mass airflow sensor-fu'd cat converters

The service chick at my dealership is always fussing about my aftermarket air filter and that it would f/umy mas air flow sensor. I had done my home work and was fairly confident that the filters were a good deal. I've had one on my wifes 4runner for 5 years now without so much as a hickup. I got a flashing check engine idiot light in early april. My rig was going in for some other broken bs so I had them check out the light. I was toldby said service chick atthe dealershipin earlymay that my aftermarket air filter ruined my mas airflow sensor. Ihadnt notice a performance problem and after consulting the people that manufactured the filter, I thoughtthe dealerships claims might be bs. I did however start to see a slight decline in performance by late November and was getting a blinking check engine light under hard excel andtold the dealership that we'd better change it out. I have an extended warrenty but due to the aftermarket filter supposedly causing the problem, i'm told this issueis not covered. They have to order the part and so Jan 4th I get it in to have the swap done $350. They indicate that I should have the plugs and wires changed and a "tune up" done $300. They also indicate that the fuel injectors need to be cleaned and a new fuel filter needs to be instaled after only 15k miles since the last one was installed $250. So $900 into this, I pick it up yesterday and it almost left me stranded on the side of the road. After all that the thing was only fireing on what felt like 2 cylincers. I took it back imediately, and today they tell me that the catalytic converters are 80% pluged and thats my problem now. Driving with the M.A.S damaged caused the Cats to plug. They want over a grand in parts alone and a week wait to do that? The whole thing realy has me chapped. Any ideas or should i just bust out another g?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: k&n-mass airflow sensor-fu'd cat converters

That all sounds like a line of bull to me... flashing CEI is from a misfire... even says so in your manual...

it would be easy for me to believe that a K&N ruined your MAF.. they let a lot through...

the whole thing sounds fishy... something seems to be missing from the whole story...

but that is just my opinion...

Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 PM

Having a K&N type filter ruin a MAF is total BS unless you over oil it! I have used them for over 15 years in everything I drive and never once had a problem. The misfiring is probably caused by them not connectig the plug wires correctly. After all, it wasnt doing it when you took in in there. I would ask to speak to a dealer rep immediately as you are getting screwed. They are charging you for things that they are not even sure is the problem!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 AM

First: You might want to throw this (Below info) at the Dealships "Service Chick" and cram it.

Second: Tell them to put all the old parts back in because it ran better and find a new Dealership and write GM a letter naming names.

Third: They are trying to take you for a ride.

Advice; Always ask to see the old parts when the Dealer says they changed "parts" out. I am not from Missouri, but I use there motto religiously "SHOW ME" state.

VEHICLE WARRANTY DENIAL & THE LAW
Some motor vehicle dealers and manufacturers are telling customers that the factory warranty on their motor vehicles is "void," if aftermarket parts or accessories are installed on their vehicles. This is incorrect.
DONMAR would like to refer you to the federal Consumer Product Warranties law, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c) that:
"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if –
[ol][*]the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and[*]the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor."[/ol]

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of product, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer. DONMAR is unaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the FTC to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to parts, accessories or styling products.

The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) monitors problems associated with warranty claims to ensure that vehicle dealers are not misrepresenting the law. If you believe legitimate factory warranty coverage has been unfairly denied due to presence or installation of aftermarket parts or accessories, contact SEMA online at www.sema.org
, or call 909/396-0289. SEMA will contact the dealership and manufacturer to advise them of the law and request that they clarify their position relative to the installed aftermarket parts or accessories.
In addition to any informal action SEMA may take, you should consult an attorney and various state and federal agencies, who may be able to assist you in protecting and enforcing your warranty rights, if you encounter a motor vehicle dealer’s or manufacturer’s refusal to honor your motor vehicle warranty.
If the failure to honor a warranty claim involves the new vehicle warranty, and it appears that the dealer improperly denied the claim, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) online at
www.ftc.gov, or call 202/326-3128.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 AM

ooOOHH.!!!!! Find another dealer ASAP.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Do you know what a MAF is???????

$12.00 would have fixed you up. Basically $6.00 each.
Name:  CRCMAF.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  17.4 KBName:  3MTPlatecleaner.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  7.7 KB

Your sensor might have got dirty, and it could even go bad like any other sensor or electronic part. Filter oil and adhereing dirt cannot ruin a MAF.
A new sensor is $71.35 http://www.autopart.com/MAFS/MAFS2004HUMMERH2.htm

Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 AM

Yea, I got all that. I've been down that road already. The dealership says the problems not covered under warrenty because the aftermarket part caused the problem. Not that the warrenty is void because i used aftermarket parts. I'm completely aware of this law. I also was told by Airraid, the manufacturer of the filter, that oil cant ruin the MAS. And Doc Olds, thanks for the pictures, come on dude I'm frustrated not stupid. By the way, I've noticed most replies to this post come from drivers of the 3. I dont know how the air box is configured in those lil shavers, but in the H2 the MAS is dirrectly up against the filter. I have had K&N's and the like in all my rigs for over 15 years, and never had a problem, however I can see how oil could possibly get on the MAS. I did see a technical bullitin at one time indicating the potential damage oil could cause to that particular MAS. I cant find it now. I'm just pissed off. The cats are deffinately pluged though. I had to drive the pile about 5 miles last night from the dealership to my office to park it until I get something figured out as far as replacing them. I could smell the bastards cooking. Nasty.
Has anyone every replaced the cats on an H2? The dealership said it would be cheaper to just cut out the old cats and weld in new aftermarket ones instead of replacing the whole assembly which is what GM offers, and what they would have to do. So I guess I'm off to a muffler shop. I was thinking of duel exhaust. Now might be a good time to do that. I guess my only recoarse is to persue the warrenty issue on the MAS. I'm in agreement withOlds, things just go bad sometimes, and the"chick" did offer toshow me the old part when I got argumentitive, but she didnt have it when I showed up to get my keys and I was so pissed off I forgot to ask. Screw it.
I think Im just gonna park it an buya spanky brand new 08. A 2 though, not a 3,I can't do sub-compact.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, I drive a three. I know nothing about V8s and the MAF....not MAS....that powers the H2. Even though I own a friggin fleet of Big Blocks, and a couple small block V8s. BTW, the MAF for the I5, first thing out of the air cleaner box. Quck questions, does your 2 burn any oil and how many miles?

Never said you were stupid, just was pointing out this ain't rocket science. A dirty MAF can cause a rough running engine. A dead MAF (should throw a code with light immediately) will result in a changed timing curve and retardation, which may or may not cause a rough running engine depending on the default settings which I am not familiar with.

One explanation for plugged cats is an engine out of tune for a LENGTHY period. I would bet that the check engine light would come on if the engine was missing, detonating, running on, or fouled? So a dead MAF could cause cats to foul/plug, but it would be a long shot. If your old MAF was dirty, which you should be able to see upon insection, and was that way a long time, just maybe thecat problem is related to that. I would not bet on it, but anything is theoretically possible.

Finally, when I post a message, I post it to reply to the thread starters question, but also for other forum members who may read this thread because they have similar problems. I was not attemptin to suggest you were less than an intelligent Hummer enthusiast. Anyway, your idea to go to a muffler shop and have new cats intalled is the way to go, consider stainless high flow cats if you intend to keep it. Go with the oem type cat if you are gonna sell. When the shop cuts out the old cat(s), take a good look get an opinion from the pipe monkeys as to the plug factor? Good luck!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks Olds. Im not trying to be an ***. I'm just down about $2500 in one week to keep my rig on the road. Slightly cranky....But anyway,I got some decent new, not reman, cats on the way and I test drove a friends 6.0 with a flowmaster duel system, so I figure if I'm spending money I might as well drive away with a feeling that I got a little somthing outa the deal. I'm hoping that after the new exhaust is in that I'll have positive results to report. I guess the main arguement is weather the filter killed the MAF or it died on its own.IfI can convince someone that the death cant be caused by oiland dirtashas been discussed here, then this whole ball of sh*t is under warrenty. I called back and questioned the service chick about my used parts and she denies that she said she'd save the old parts for me. I guess my only recoarse is the Hummer dealer rep. Maybee he will see my side of this. Btw. she's got 82,455 miles at the moment and no, never burned oil.P.S. Ive beendriving one of my companies cars in the interum and I canhonestly say, Im ruined. I can never go back.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Well it seems your at your wits end. As far as exhaust if your going to spend that kind of money and do all that, I would go with headers and then hi-flo-cats. AS far as Cats clogging from the MAF is a figment of there imagination. It would not have happened that quik. Plus as soon as your cats clogged you would have gotton a CEL, though I am not positive but if it has a before and after O2 sensor then it would have warned you well before this filter issue. DOC is right on his diagnosises, the MAF can throw allot of things off. Sometimes a simple corroded or loose connectioncan throw everythng out of wack too. Hell, your O2 could have gone out and cause those problems. Bad fuel injector (s), vacuum leak, cloggedPCV, cracked manifold,as well. Everything overlapswith the engines oftoday. Plus you came here for Help and I think we do our best to do that. But you wrote out the thread as what you wanted help with. I mean if you put "H2 won't start" how am I supposed to figure that out, Get my crystal ball. I am no expert but I base my abilities on experiance if I can't properly figure it out then I take it to the Dealer. These addons come with risks.