PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air leaks out of the rear suspension sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM

I did forget to tell you to take care of it A.S.A.P. if you let your compressor run for extended periods of time it will go bad and then your up **** creek and will have to go to the aftermarket spring setup if you dont want to spend over 2k in repair bills.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by dfwt70gt
I know this thread is a little old, but I think this may be my problem. I have an 05 SUV and it will sometimes sink down over night. Other days it stays up just fine. The compressor isn't always running so I figured it was something more upstream from the bags.

Anyone ever replace this solenoid? Difficulty? I'd like to fix my issue sooner rather than later. I don't want the expense of a new compressor anytime soon.
99 times out of 100 it is the bags, if you search the forums here and else where you will find like ~2 separate posts that discovered an issue after replacing the bags. I fought with the same second guessing because the behavior didn't match my preconceptions on how it would behave if there was a hole in the bag. The truth is they don't just pop like a balloon, they dry and crack and depending on your driving and climate the state of those cracks can go from holding air to not holding air. Eventually over time they will get to a point were it just won't hold air at all and this is the point where you stress your compressor out. I've read the intended lifespan of these airbags was 7-10 years but in practice it's not uncommon to halve this. I replaced mine a few weeks ago, it started off kind of as kind of random drops overnight and eventually got to the point where every night they would drop. Replaced and not a single problem since. So before you go trying to jump through imaginary hoops have the bags checked out by someone qualified your already near their end of life so if you replace them and find another problem you may feel like your out extra money, but they were about due anyway on an '05.