New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Greetings.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:12 AM
Default Greetings.

First post... Intro,
I'm a long time Jeep owner and fist time Hummer owner. Bought an Oh Six H3 off the lot at Chaco's Used Cars and Mexican Food.
It came with a lot of issues and 160K on the clock. I'm working through the repairs as I go and am learning to love/hate this vehicle more and more every day. Kinda like owning any other off-road monster, parts wear and break, parts cost money and time. Love the handling and the off-road capabilities of this thing... like a Rubicon, but with seat heaters and a moon roof.

Looking forward to learning some of the stuff Chilton's doesn't tell you about H3's and Hummers in general... Even my local Chevy dealership is stumped half the time, and they built it!

BTW, I'm in Northern California, so my Hummer is for the snow, mountains, and beaches when I get the rare day-off. I live 30 miles from the Rubicon Trail. Yes, I've run it. No, I doubt I'll ever run it with my H3. I like this vehicle too much to rock-rash it on a trail like that... that's what beater YJ's are for.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. Congrats.

I have never seen a Chilton's H3 Manual, don't need one everything you need to know is on line and H3s are easy to work on.

If you are having any electrical issue, the First Mod to do to any H3/3T is to change the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors for a quality aftermarket set like Stingers ASAP.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome to HF. Congrats.

I have never seen a Chilton's H3 Manual, don't need one everything you need to know is on line and H3s are easy to work on.

If you are having any electrical issue, the First Mod to do to any H3/3T is to change the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors for a quality aftermarket set like Stingers ASAP.
Thank you for your welcome. I do have an electrical issue. The thing won't stay charged more than three days sitting. If I start and drive it every day, no problem. Will definitely try new connectors. Some suggested double batteries. What's your take on that idea? I have a recall on the HVAC too, but the dealership doesn't have the part. No kidding about the internet being the best source of info. That's how I found this forum.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Old_Bob95648
Thank you for your welcome. I do have an electrical issue. The thing won't stay charged more than three days sitting. If I start and drive it every day, no problem. Will definitely try new connectors. Some suggested double batteries. What's your take on that idea? I have a recall on the HVAC too, but the dealership doesn't have the part. No kidding about the internet being the best source of info. That's how I found this forum.
This new member section is not for your tech questions, but please feel free to post those in the H3 section indicating year, miles, model and symptoms of your issues and we will be glad to help.

H3s are getting older, grounding issues occur as do shorted circuits from wire insulation becoming brittle or rubbing against things. A common spot for a short is the wire harness to the license plate light where it goes under the chassis.... you can see the harness with the back door open between the bumper and chassis. It can rub and ground, draining the battery.... Happened on my old 07.

Anyways, fire up your questions in the H3 section and we can pitch in.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:54 AM

Will do, thanks.
Sure I'll have a few over the coming months/years with this thing.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Old 05-14-2020, 01:00 PM

Welcome to HF