Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Possible new owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 AM
Default Possible new owner

I am currently considering purchasing H3 and I am selling my Jeep Cherokee XJ which I've owned four of them over the past 20 years, love them , love the dependability but they are getting hard to find in good shape. Now that the H3 has fallen to an affordable price for me I am considering it. I like the inline 4.0 of the Jeep because I can do maintenance and dependability is incredible. Along with there being millions of interchangeable parts out there. I belong to a couple of forms the Jeep Cherokee XJ forum and the Honda Valkyrie forum another dependable vehicle with a Goldwing motor on a cruiser style bike. So I know most of you being on this forum you obviously own a Hummer and our happy with them that's why you are here. Having now been on the road for 100,000 plus miles what types of Maintenance are due on them and what type of problems should I look for? I live in a rural area I do not do much off-road driving but have a long gravel driveway and live in a rolling hilly area and feel I need the four-wheel drive for getting to work and out on bad days being in Mid-Missouri I do get some snow and ice. Sometimes I haul a trailer with lawn equipment or a motorcycle on it and have considered purchasing a small camping trailer. So I wanted to know about towing with it also. The one I am particularly interested in is an 07 with the h3x package it has the tow package heated seats Etc and has 99,000 miles on it. Is very clean and the asking price is $9,999. Having owned them for a while would you all buy them again? Thank you for taking the time to steer me in the correct direction.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Default Apologies

Sorry members I get a little excited about things . I am going to look at the vehicle immediately after work and do not have time while at work to do a bunch of research on things so please forgive me for asking so many questions thank you

Old 02-25-2019, 12:15 PM

As a former XJ owner I would have to steer you clear of the I5 Hummer H3s.
The 4.0L was/is pretty bullet proof and the I5 (3.5L or 3.7L) is FAR from the dependability, ease of service or replacement part/time that the 4.0L is.
Not that they are not great vehicles but the service history of an I5 is worth it's weight in gold. If it has been taken care of it may well last into the 200-250K range.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Never had an issue with my 2007 3.7L, never ever, none, zero. Actually one of the best overall trucks I have ever owned.

H3s have an OEM radiator with plastic tanks, if not mounted correctly they can rub and/or crack. Look at the radiator carefully.