PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Potentially purchasing an H3 - Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Default Potentially purchasing an H3 - Questions!

Hello I've done some searching and read some very informative threads about H3s, but have a few situational questions that I'd like to ask you experts.

A bit of background: I currently own a '99 BMW 540. I need to get myself out of it - I'm upside down in it (times about seven) when it comes to repair versus value and every time I turn around something else is breaking. I can't keep sinking money into the thing, as much as I love driving it. Plus, it is horrendous in snow and I'd like my winter morning commutes in Michigan to feel less perilous.

My mechanic, who my parents have gone to for a decade and who has worked extensively on my BMW, has a 2007 H3 that he would sell me and he would offer me a very reasonable trade-in value for my BMW. The H3 has 170K miles on it, though the engine has been replaced and has about 90K. He's asking $10.5K for it. The body is in very good condition, as is the interior. Brakes have been done recently, as have some other minor repairs. I'm drawn to the Hummer because I don't enjoy driving run-of-the-mill cars and I prefer something with attitude and style.

So, questions!

1. Is there anything that should specifically concern me about such a high mileage Hummer? I trust my mechanic to not sell me a vehicle with any imminent issues, but what questions should I be asking him about the H3?

2. I keep reading that the H3 is slightly underpowered. I'm a bit worried about the transition from my 400 HP BMW to a large and much slower Hummer. What do you guys think about the power/weight ratio? Is anyone bothered by it? I don't expect to be able to win any races, but I don't want to put my foot in it and feel like nothing is happening.

3. I have a Great Dane and several other large mixed breed dogs. Does anyone use their H3s for large dog transport? What is the cargo space like? The Dane will likely be 36-37" at the shoulder when he is full grown and I'd like to make sure he'd be comfortable in the cargo area. I'm also planning on adding two more Danes to my home in the future, so room for three 150-190 lb dogs would be ideal.

4. This has been asked before, but overall reliability? Issues I should expect to crop up? I've been sinking about $3-4K a year (and an impressive $6K including a new transmission in one summer) to keep the BMW running. I'd really prefer a vehicle that requires less maintenance.

Thoughts? Anything else I should know? I really appreciate everyone's time and patience in responding to my newbie questions!

Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Well........ you did not mention what model H3 you are looking at (Base, Adventure/Lux/Lux Off road), but I would not pay $10,500 for an 07 with 170K miles, replacement motor or not.

You could find one with under 100 for very close to that, or negotiate your way there.

1) at 170K, that trans is likely to be tired, they sometimes develop a radiator leak/crack from how the top bracket holds it in place, but that can be modified and a replacement is no biggy.

2) Power to weight ratio? Hello, talking about power to weight ratio as to a Hummer is like flipping a blind guy the finger, relatively useless but it might make you feel better. The nit wits that claim an H3 is under powered do not understand A) what is going on with a straight block motor, and B) what the Hummer is designed for. The H3 is a very capable off road vehicle, frankly pretty amazing when modded out further for that purpose. It is not a street racer, and not intended to be. It is, however, just as streetable as basically any other 5000# SUV. Think of it this way, 3.7L at 242 HP/TQ, that is substantially more than the smog chocked 5.7L V8s from the late 70s and early 80s pumping out 165-180 HP.

Drive it and others before you buy.

3) I don't know, I do not ride around with my dog in the car, never could understand that, driving with the pet thing. I know a guy that rescues Mastiffs here in MI, he has hauled them around in their H3 with no complaints that I know of.

4) A Trans rebuild should be $1800 - 2000, if and when it needs one, beyond that, anything can break, but I wouldn't expect it. In 9 years, the only thing I have had to do beyond maintenance is replace the Thermostat, few hours of my time and $53.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Cool

• The trade in value on the BMW should be the selling point. Otherwise I’d go after an H3 with lower mileage on it.
  • It’s not underpowered but it’s not highperformance either. I tow a 4000lb trailer with mine from NJ to FL and have no problems running at 65-70 down the hiway. That said you’re not going to break the tires loose from a dead start.
  • The room inside the hummer is deceiving smaller than you would think given the footprint. That may be a game changer for your great dane.
  • I’ve only had my H3 for two years and 22,000 miles. I have replaced the hubs because they were bad when I bought it and the radiator due to cracking, a well known problem. Other than that it’s been routine maintenance.
Overall I like my H3. Fun to drive, handles great on and off road and loves the snow. It is a quite capable vehicle.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the comments!

@Doc Olds - I actually don't know which model it is. I haven't seen it in person or had the chance to ask that many questions. My dad was at my mechanic's shop recently, saw it and asked him about it, so all I know is the information I was given, which wasn't a whole lot.

Definitely not expecting it to be powerful or to be competitive off the line. I would like it to feel like I'm not struggling to get up to 65-70 mph to merge onto the freeway. Sounds like I won't have that problem.

Definitely planning on driving before I buy. And as for pets in the car - I don't own pets as house ornaments. They're an active part of my life and I participate in many training classes and handling classes with them. They accompany me to street festivals, art fairs, music festivals, etc. Their comfort and safety in a vehicle is very important to me.

It's good that I don't have to expect much to break. That's not the way my life currently is with the BMW. The only thing I can count on is the trans, and that's because I had it rebuilt two years ago.

@choochmalooch

The trade-in on the BMW is why I'm considering the deal. Most people wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. It has 9 claims on it in the last 5 years (8 comprehensive, 1 rear end collision), has had multiple catastrophic mechanical failures and is on its way to many more.

The other selling value is trust. I do not trust people who are selling me cars, as a general rule. Buying from my mechanic guarantees me that the vehicle is *currently* in very good mechanical shape. Doesn't mean something won't break. Greatly reduces the changes that I'm buying myself into a repair nightmare, though.

In general - I'll make sure to check for radiator cracks and any trans issues.

Thanks very much for both of your input! I think I'm going to test drive it on Saturday. At the very least, the H3 will be a way for me to get out of the BMW before the BMW has a total meltdown and is worth nothing. I may also give my mechanic the BMW as a trade-in for a future purchase and ask him to look for a lower mileage H3 to buy and repair for me, depending on how the test drive goes and whether I deem the cargo space to be enough for some giant dogs

Old 03-03-2016, 05:01 PM
rsc

I take my 63lb lab (she is on the small side size-wise) in the back of my H3 in her carrier. I do not leave them loose in the back unless its a short trip to the park around the corner. The carrier takes up the entire cargo area, its not the large model. I have seen people either lower the rear seats or remove them completely to make a flat cargo area platform for their dogs. If that is your desire, then 3 or 4 large dogs will fit. Just ask yourself how you will be restraining them in the back.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Bought my 2007 H3 3 years ago with 19k miles and now it has 78k. I've driven it alot, as you can tell but still fairly low miles compared to whats out there. Other than oil changes I've had problems with the security system and put in a bypass so now I don't have to worry about chipped keys, the smog air pump has been out since I bought it and I just leave it that way. Now I'm having TPM problems but that's something I can live with if I can't figure out how to fix it. There's a random missfire that I'm sure I can fix easy when I get around to it. Other than that it's extremely reliable and I only drive it on paved roads. Gets only about 14 mpg and I'm pretty sure 90 mph is about the top speed. I drive it at 80 all day. I'm happy with the car as I bought it for something safe for the wife to drive.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/n...-000-mi-32028/

Last edited by ChristianAnarchist; 03-07-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:25 PM

We drive regularly with a 90# Border Collie-Rottweiller mix and a 60# Border Collie-Bernese-Retriever mix plus a cat in a small carrier plus a full load of gear occupying all the cargo area behind where the back seat would be. It's snug but not uncomfortable for them.

If you are going to carry your dog with no cargo and the back seat down, consider something to fill the gap behind the rear seat. Perhaps a large shipping blanket or the like rolled up. Also the back of the rear seat makes a tough surface for dog paw traction, so covering it will be important. We use an old quilt. Depending on your dog, a small cargo net to fill the space between the front seats may offer some safety plus keep the dog out of the front seat area.