PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A friends view on 'wheeling hummers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Default A friends view on 'wheeling hummers

Over the weekend i took the truck out with a small handful of chums and slammed it around pretty good. It held together and all, but conversing in the evening a jeep guy we know pointed out the scrapes, the this's and the that's, and he just said he figured i probably had no trade-in value left as the truck has obviously been offroaded quite a bit.

Then asked what i'd paid for it and pointed out that i've gone wheeling about a dozen times this summer, and the overall cost is probably thousands of dollars in vehicle depreciation per trip. And then he adds that if he blows a shaft or a transmission or even rolls or something he's out some time and has a funny story to tell, but we would actually be losing something.

I just replied that i thought it was fun, and doing it in the hummer that i drive most days of the week sort of adds a little spice to life all the time. Its fun to drive around in a truck you've bonded with off the road.

I thought it was interesting to more or less be chewed out by a fellow offroader for beating on the truck. Where the internet crowd on jeep sites and enviromental sites always seem to be screaming at hummer drivers for NOT going offroad, here in the real world I get more questions or even flack about going offroad than i do about not. Guys from the dealership, guys rotating tires, family and friends and strangers have all asked why i'd "abuse" such an expensive vehicle. Not everbody takes kindly to what they seem to feel is disrespectful treatment of a luxury object.

Whether you agree with that viewpoint or not, its at least interesting.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Default RE: A friends view on 'wheeling hummers

Should have taken the Prius out..

Old 11-06-2006, 03:22 PM

I have gotten "You are crazy for offroading in this vehicle" a few times but rarely mostly just from my friends that drive small lil imports that baby their ride... but most people understand it maybe because its an H1 and they look more rugged and some people think they are the "old" hummer or maybe because I live in canada... but whatever it is most people like the fact that I use my rig for what it is ment to be used for!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Should have taken the Prius out..
I think the prius, with an 18" lift, new axles tranny and t-case, front and rear lockers, and a corvette engine, some mud-tires, anda new suspension would rule offroad.

[sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=badidea.gif]

Old 11-06-2006, 03:40 PM

could just be the way you drive it offroad. if you've got dents and dings, maybe it's the driver, not the truck or trails . . . .[8D]

Old 11-06-2006, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Injunfarian

I have gotten "You are crazy for offroading in this vehicle" a few times but rarely mostly just from my friends that drive small lil imports that baby their ride... but most people understand it maybe because its an H1 and they look more rugged and some people think they are the "old" hummer or maybe because I live in canada... but whatever it is most people like the fact that I use my rig for what it is ment to be used for!
You tell him brutha. I use my for it's purpose too and that is to look cool in it while it's all nice and shiney. LOL!![8D]

Old 11-06-2006, 03:43 PM

that's cool, injun. i wonder if the H2 does have less of that "meant for it" aura, and people wouldn't feel the same about an H1.

maybe.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

You tell him brutha. I use my for it's purpose too and that is to look cool in it while it's all nice and shiney. LOL!![8D]
lol

Old 11-06-2006, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

could just be the way you drive it offroad. if you've got dents and dings, maybe it's the driver, not the truck or trails . . . .[8D]
lol

come on now, be fair. The front end of the truck is beat up from hitting the nose coming down inclines and stuff. My formerly nice white bumper got pretty well sandblasted, so its been line-X since mid-summer. I lost a grille and damaged another, and a couple other things that i've had fixed.

Those things can be fixed. The frame has scrapes and dings, but could be undercoated again.

No functional damage to date, but i have to say that after switching to 37" tires the front end seems a little angry. Doesnt feel quite as invincible when climbing or when the tires start spinning. Hard to explain that. I guess its just fun to see what you can do, and eventually some paint will get chipped, even if you avoid tight jeep trails and all.

I understand conservative wheeling philosophies, but i also understand the urge to just try it and find out. Silly GreenBlade.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Greenblade

that's cool, injun. i wonder if the H2 does have less of that "meant for it" aura, and people wouldn't feel the same about an H1.

maybe.

yea I think its just most people that dont know better think the H2 is the "new" hummer and think the H1 wasnt being made since it was released so i just think that people come to like older vehicles being offroaded but a brand new one they are surprised. but either the case much respect to all those who wheel their rig.

Quick Reply: A friends view on 'wheeling hummers