PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about H3 vs Ruby (Attn: ImportKiller)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Default Questions about H3 vs Ruby (Attn: ImportKiller)

ImportKiller (and everyone else who can help),

If I am interpreting your post signatures correctly, it appears you have both an H3 and a Ruby Unlimited. If so, I have some concerns I'm hoping you (and everyone else) can help me with. I'm a long time Jeeper. But I am absolutely disgusted by the '07 lineup of chickified, wimpy, european vehicles I see down at the dealership with "Jeep" logos stamped on the sides of them. In short, Jeep sold out and has abandoned it's heritage. With the standard Wrangler being nothing more than a glorified Subaru, and the Commander being a family wagon that will never leave the pavement (except in Jeep commercials), the only true Jeep left is the Ruby. As such, I am really wanting to buy an H3, but I have to keep a few things in mind - like being able to beat my vehicle up off-road without killing it. I know I can do it in a Ruby. My concern is the H3.

If you actually own both vehicles, I sure would appreciate an honest comparison between the two to help me with my decision-making. I welcome input from everyone else as well, of course.

1. Whatever I buy is definitelygoing to see dirt, mudand rocks. It will also be my daily driver. I know the Ruby's up to it because of simplistic electric lockers that I know to work well. It also has two tangible full axles front and rear for excellent articulation. The H3, however, has a complicated independant front end with lots of little moving parts for traction control. This is typically regarded in the off-road world as bad in terms of articulation, durability and strength. Any thoughts?

2. When I take my Lux/Adventure H3 out to Moab Utah (I'm moving there), will doing so absolutely hammer all the fru-fru bling bling electronics inside? I mean, will driving down a bumpy, rocky road destroy the stereo, GPS and DVD players?

3. A lifetime of experience has so far shown me that manual trannys are typicallysuperior in terms of reliability, durability and longevity (again with the 'lots of little moving parts' issue). Especially off-road. It is inevitable that automatics, somewhere down the road, always end up failing in some way, usually at the worst possible time. Unpredictable failure is designed into them. In short, I dont trust automatics as far as I can throw them. But the auto H3 drives so much better than the stick, which explains why they sell very few stick shift models (combined with how you can't even drive the stick without getting your gas pedal foot pinned between the cramped tranny hump and brake pedal when shifting). If I got an H3, it would have to be an automatic. Is there anything anyone can tell meto quell my fears about getting an automatic H3?

The comparison and any additional help would be much appreciated!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Default RE: Questions about H3 vs Ruby (Attn: ImportKiller)

I dont knwo if this helps or not. i used to have a 95 YJ that i used as a daily driver as well as taking it off road. It did very well, but it beat me to death driving it everyday. No comfort at all. But i liked it very much.

However, the H3 is VERY comfortable and from what i have seen very capable, sturdy and a perfect choice for me.

Both vehicles are very different and have both good and bad. My thinking is, maybe find someone with both and have them take you for a ride or let ya drive them..

I know thats not much help.. just my .02

Old 01-29-2007, 03:43 PM

ok, well the h3 is owned by me and the rubi is owned by my brother, he cannot fit the rubi in his parking deck since I lifted it so he drives my h3 every thursday and friday and whenever he has that certain client and I take his rubi.

As far as your concerns....the h3 has tackeld and made it through Rubicon, moab paragon and every other off road site in this country with out any problems. I have posted pics of a group of h3's making it down lions back...here is a video that will show you the how capable an h3 is compared to a jeep.
http://www.h3adventures.com/coppermi...7milecrack.wmv

I love my h3 and I love teh new JK, but for an all around daily driving + off roading machine the h3 nudges out the jk rubi.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: jdrew

I dont knwo if this helps or not. i used to have a 95 YJ that i used as a daily driver as well as taking it off road. It did very well, but it beat me to death driving it everyday. No comfort at all. But i liked it very much.

However, the H3 is VERY comfortable and from what i have seen very capable, sturdy and a perfect choice for me.

Both vehicles are very different and have both good and bad. My thinking is, maybe find someone with both and have them take you for a ride or let ya drive them..

I know thats not much help.. just my .02
Yup. I'm driving a '93 YJ at the moment. Looks great, but it rattles my teeth (and my newly acquired bad knee). I know the new Jeeps don't ride like "real" Jeeps anymore. That's good and bad. My YJ feels like a Jeep, not a Subaru Outback. It also hurts like one now.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Highwinder. I have one of the FEW Manual transmissions on the road in the H3's. I can tell you from experience, it's not very good. Here's why:

I am taking it back to the dealer AGAIN tomorrow for a differential problem. The first time I forgot to take it off 4 wheel locked mode and took a turn on wet pavement, I cracked/broke the differential bushings on the brackets that hold it to the chassis. Now, I did it again (yes, stupid me) and it jerks between 1500 and 2500 RPMs. You can hear the differential chatting away. It would seem to me that the manual may not be as strong as the automatic, but in theory the differentials are the same. Just my experience.

The Automatic is rated to tow 4500 lbs whereas the manual is only rated at 3000 lbs. YES, I know it's backwards, but that's what it is. I have personally towed more than that in a trailor in addition to 4 passengers in the H3, and it didn't hesitate at all with acceleration and braking. The 3.7 L they offer now in the 2007 definitely has more spunk to it. I have yet to take mine off-roading, but bought it for that purpose. Go figure.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:01 AM

I myself will be making the transition from being a Jeep guy to a Hummer guy. Don't getr me wrong, I have always appreciated a good hummer, but since getting married, that is a thing of the past,. ;-) I would have to say that my favorite ride would have been my 1976 CJ 5 with the 3 speed. 1st one up was reverse, down to 2nd and so on.

I can't tell you how many times I could not drive myself home and one of my buddys would become the unofficial designated driver.........9 times out of 10 we would end up in reverse at every light we stopped at. With a big crunch, of course as my CJ was slammed into reverse.

Those were the days.