Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Default RE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Thanks for the update. I'm going to bring it up to my dealer again tomorrow but delay service until they are ready. This started for me week 1 of ownership but I couldn't recreate it for the dealer. That was all before this thread started.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 PM

no prob, al. you've helped me out countless times. so, its the least i could do. gladmy experience has helped. i love to be the dealer's guinea pig .

lil d

Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Interesting thread. I, like many, just started experiencing the exact same thing abouta week and a half ago. I have an '07 w/approx 1300 mi.
It was very hot the day I firstheard and felt the "clunking". It came out of nowhere and went from bad to worse. Then, like magic, I was out that same night (had cooled down substantially) andit was back to normal.
AguyIspoke with who specializes in alignment/balance issues on 4x4s, said that the bushings in the r&p steering assembly are prob softening up when it's hot, giving the impression that the steering is "loose". Then theystiffen back up when it's cooler. I was skeptical that this was the issue and wanted to do a bit of research before taking it in. Based on what I'm hearing from others in this thread, it sounds more likely that it's the steering shaft issue. Especially since GM is specifically addressing this as a concern.
There is definitely a correllation between the loose clunking and the temp/humidity. Last week (all 75-80 degree highs) I didn't feel a thing. Early this week (early/mid 80s highs) I felt it a little. Yesterday and today (hot and humid as all get out) I'm feeling it more exaggerated.
I will be talking to dealer service about the steering shaft issue soon.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Another update. The problem is definitely in the lower steering column and there is now a GM Service Bulletin out advising service departments there is a problem and that they are working to correct the deficient part. They are not sure how long it will be until a "good" part is available -- could be a few weeks, could be longer and then all of us lucky folks will have to stand in line for them to distribute them in the order of request around the country. My advice, get your backorder in now so you are given priority.

While I had my '06 H3 ran into similar issues with poor availability of replacement parts for warranty repairs . . . . hopefully somewhere in all this someone at GM and Hummer is finally getting a clue that parts should be in good supply rather than waiting in line for parts taken literally from the assembly line area.

While attempting to address this, I also have come to notice a rattling in the rear end. Come to find out the rear doorwas not in proper alignment and the weather stripping was rubbing. They attempted to fix this with a door adjustmentas well but, a long work related drive yesterday proved the fix did not hold. Will be visiting them again soon to get this resolved as well.

Starting to get that bad feeling the trade from an '06 to an '07 was not such a good thing after all . . . hanging in there a while longer but, eying Toyota's again.

Moving on with a rattle up front and rattle on the rear end . . . . driving me &#@()$&*$!!!!

Staying tuned . . . . .

DUXBAK

Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Do you know what the TSB number is? I took mine to the dealer this morning for oil change and dead battery they are going to do free, and told them about the issue i've noticed when driving hot weather 45+ minutes and he said he had never heard of it, and that the H2's have a TSB for steering column issue, but not the H3. I told him this is something brand new. So I was thinking of getting him the TSB number.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: iflyswa

...told them about the issue i've noticed when driving hot weather 45+ minutes and he said he had never heard of it...
Oh, he will. And soon I'm guessing.
I called my dealer service about it yesterday and they, ironically, were in the midst of encountering their first experience with this issue. They immediately diagnosed an issue with the steering shaft, replaced it, and Voila!- problem NOT solved.
I emailed the service manager the link to this thread and they were going to call GM as well. He mentioned theyhad at least one other person call about the same issue in the last few days. These are all '07s that are nowexperiencing the hot weather for the first time, and all of a sudden, multiple people with the exact same issue.

Now it's just a question of how quicly GM will get the new replacements out. Soon I hope. I know with mine, especially in the last few days (hot as hell here), once it starts "clunking", it gets progressively worse and will start to drive you crazy.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

OK Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum.

Far be it from me to dig up a dead horse (yes, I just made that up), but this is the same problem I have been b!tching on the forum about for what, the past year? Remember when everybody and their mother has been telling me "Sorry, but there's no problem." This sure as hell sounds like what I've been dealing with for over a year. [:@] This is just what I need to prove there is a problem. DOH! again [:@] I think it's about time I start following the footsteps of Sarah and keep on them until it's fixed [:@]

And HummerMike, it's nothing personal

I just talked to Mike via Email. FINALLY. DOH! 1 painful year of this. I told how many people that my driveshaft was loose and nobody listened. I'm relieved and very pissed off all at the same time lol. One noise down, one jerky problem to go

Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

I just talked to Mike on the phone. He told me GM is currently working on a replacement part and do not have it ready for distribution yet. Hopefully, it should be ready by mid to end of July.

I'm still really pissed that I've been dealing with this for a year and have been told its normal wear and tear, but then again, I have more miles on mine then most people and I guess it was just a matter of time before they realized there WAS a problem. Still, you can't blame me. I mean I have been to the dealer who knows how many times, wasted time and money doing it, etc. Well, the important thing is it will be fixed, it's ok for now, and after a year of going back and forth to the service departments, I'll finally have a solution. DOH!

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

OK, I'll shut up............... [:@]

Old 06-29-2007, 04:44 PM

we ALL blame you!!! JK!!! glad they finally got it sorted out. i was about to give you the # to my dealer(s), so you could have your's call'em. fortunately, the guys out here are pretty much on-top of thing. oh well, welcome to the waiting game like the rest of us. please post an update once you get it replaced.

good luck!

lil d

Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Well, I'm glad that the front-end/drive shaft ratle problem is getting addressed by the dealers, as they should. Anyway, the ratle feeling while driving, specially on my work home from work is torturing. It reminds me of my first car (76' Ford Pinto, olive green w/green vinil top, four cilinders - four speed, AM radio, oh ! and no AC). The sensation created by driving that piece of *%^*/[:'(] is repeating itself just like history. I can't wait to have my 07' H3 repaired. [may the Force be with us]

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?