Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The Under $90 Air Intake!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

I think you have a solid understanding of the need for grabbing air from outside the underhood heated environment Brick.

I also believe K&N just started a price increase this year, their filters went up a few bucks, and Intakes just went up about $40.00+.

There are some good deals on Volants out their, I saw some with free shipping. My criticism with their box is the dual opening. I can't see how that second lower opening is gonna bring in outside air? Other than that, they got good stuff, and if its your preference, their box looks pretty cool.

One more for the 2006/07 H3 is the GM Performance Intake at $379.00 - $400.00+ if and where you can find them any more. They sell you a plastichromed aluminum box lid and pipe, and do not address the pie hole issue either. So GM Performance Intake customers could improve theirs with a look see at this thread.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Default lights

how did you mount your lights to your Boulder bumper ? Did you drill holes ??

Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 AM

Yep, drilling holes is about the only way to proprerly set them where you want them. Dewalt has a bit set that has a small starter tip at each end, that will help with the thickness of the steel. I would drill up gradually instead of just going for the base size needed. make sure to at test fit the bumper and mark your holes before drilling. We noticed a little two late that the boulder bumper sits inside the the body more than exspected. We ended up driling two sets of holes, got lucky when the upper grill covered the first set of holes all together without them showing and looking ugly. Also remember to run a small rim of touch up paint inside the drilled holes. Sounds like overkill, but it will save you from rust down the road. Give us a day or so, we plan on posting our project truck in the rides and photo section. There u can get a look at our prototype, all steel ultra low drag roof rack with collapsable foldin roof ladder. also we have a highly modified center dash console with touch screen GPS, touch mutimedia radio, and cb mount.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Funny I have been meaning to look into this for some time. I have a True Flow intake with K&N Filter, stock exhaust and have had it for about 2 years. I did notice some improvement when I first installed it and a little increase in noise, but not too much. I just did the mod for the snorkel. I would have done it sooner if I knew that the snorkel had such a small intake hole. As for what it’s done, well the engine is quieter at all rpms, there does seem to be a bit more power not a lot but a bit. I could be crazy but it seems like instead of the trans dropping a gear on hills on my normal route it just keeps going. It’s only been two days so not sure if there will be any change in MPG but I will be looking at my next few fill ups to see if there is any real change.

So in my opinion this is a great mod for $7-$10 and about 30min it takes (just for the snorkel mod) you can't go wrong.

I do wish I had the 3" to 3.5" coupler that "Doc Olds" sells with his kit just because the 3" to 3" from spectra is just long enough to make the gap from the air box to the fender wall. The one from Doc Olds looks longer. I ended up extending mine with some flexible plastic I had just to make sure I had a good seal with the fender wall.

Great info.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 PM

I think its a general understanding and agreement that the downsized snorkel starves the engine for much need cool air. while a few mods alone may not make a difference, the combined effect can be a big improvement. The reason GM made it that way is tougher to figure out, I have no clue!

I don't know if Doc sells just the spacer separately, you may want to ask him. The Spectre is an exact fit if you leave it only a quarter of an inch into the air box. The gap you see is the oval air box form wrapping the insert as it goes from semi circular to a round fender hole. But if you want the insert to hang into the fender well, you are right, to short. That is why we got specific on the type of foam trim. its rounded, which assists flow, and it provided one half inch of added space in all direction. Seals up nice.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Doc, I am considering purchasing the air intake system from you guys after your earlier explanation and this post. My question is regarding the filter, I just replaced my filter with the Green Filter, can that be used in conjuction with your intake system ? do I need to purchase any other parts outside of the the system to get it all working?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Raffi, your Green filter will work fine with our intake. Now that you have a performance free breathing filter, you need nothing further for our intake to be installed complete.

Just follow the instructions, only a few hand tools needed and about 30-40 mins. of your time.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Doc, I have a question regarding your Air Doc system, or probably about just any. From the pictures you posted I see that the diameter of the pipe that you use is pretty much the same as the one that is currently there. The only difference I really see is that it is made out of metal.
How can it increase the air intake if the air supply hole in the air filter box is still the same ? Is there something in the pipe that increases the suction?

edit..... I was reading your website info and I now see that the snorkle is also replaced. Is your hose larger than the stock also ? I see a drill bit will be needed ? does that mean i have to drill..... I always feel ackward when any kind of drilling needs to be done on the car, especially engine parts :/

Last edited by Raffi76; 03-06-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM

looks good , where did you get your front bumper? did you made it? looks good i would love to have one like that!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:10 AM

Blah, this set up does not work for 08's. My friend works at Autozone and he gave me the parts for free though haha. The 4" inch is too big the maf housing and throttle body coupler is too big for the 3" piping. I have all this exact intake for sale with 4-3 reducer, piping, and the nipple already installed. 20 bucks + shipping, send me a pm if you want it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Under $90 Air Intake!