Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The Under $90 Air Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by ultraclassic01
What site do you go to for finding these Spectra parts? Nice DIY and would like to do it before it gets to cold in Illinois.
Home Page | O'Reilly Auto Parts I just went around the corner to the auto parts store after work and had it installed in about 2 hours in the driveway at night while taking my time.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Default Under $80.00 air intake

Ok, I got really excited seeing this great diy project. Went to autozone wed and they had all but two items on the list. They ordered the parts on Thurs. and they called Fri. and said that the parts where in. No special shipping charges!!!!! like O'Reilly Auto Parts wanted to charge which was more than the part that they did not have. My business is going to Autozone.
Sat. morning started the project. Well the first issue was trying to get the 3" coupler to seat far enough into the side wall with the pipe insulation. This was tricky and I really thought that the couple needed to be at least 4" long. With this in mind I looked at my 2007 snorkel and measured the output going into the box and it was just under 3". So instead of trying to get this to actually fit into the insulation I just used the 07 snorkel which in reality both ends had and opening of about 3". Whey reinvent the wheel right. Next was the reducing boot that the filter output attaches and after studying that situation I thought it best to cut off and file down the indexing bump on the piece that has the mass sensor on it. The 07 mass sensor plugs in from the top and not the side. The couple is 4" to 3" and 4" is slightly larger than the piece it has to fit on but when it is tightened down it is a good fit. Ok two hours has gone by trying to make decisions and really think this out. I am glad that I had a reducer left over from some part but it came in handy when it came time to slip it into the boot going to the carb. On an 07 the boot is larger than the Spectre tube and the reducing ring from the coupler I think came in handy in order to make it a snug fit. Anyways it worked. By the way the Spectre tubes are made of chrome plastic. This is why it was under $80.00. Now it was time to drill the side whole for the breather port vent tube. Got the whole drilled and you need to make sure that it as clean and free from plastic chips from drilling so nothing can get sucked down the carb. This is very important! After drilling the whole out and choosing the right rubber groumet it probably took another hour to get the groumet and 1/2 tube into the hole that was just drilled. This part was frustrating but I finally got it in with the help of a small rubber mallet.
Now the valve cover was removed and a new hose added and started to line things up. PS look at the instructions for o rings. This took awhile until I actually looked at the instructions of joining the two pieces.
Got everything lined up and started to tighten thing down in place. No problem here. The only thing I did notice hear was that the stright Spectre piece going into the carb. boot come very close to the fuel injector connectors so I stuck a piece of thin rubber between the injector connector and the stright 6" Spectre piece. By now it is 3pm, time off for lunch and everything is tightened down and time for a test ride.
I did notice that the engine was a little louder with the rocker box cover off but also did notice a slightly louder sounding engine and a little better pickup from a dead stop. To early to tell if gas mileage improves. Also noticed a new vibration sound coming from the engine compartment when you are going from a stopped position but it goes away once you are driving. It looks great uner the hood. I will post some pictures tomorrow. If I can return the 3" coupler the project will have cost about $72.00. That is a great number for something like this. I would put about 1.5hrs on thinking about each step of your instructions and making sure it would work on my 07. Also on the 07 there is and additional breather filter (what ever) that comes into the airfilter box from the front. Not sure what this does but it did not show in the DIY project posted. I have to remember that 07 was when they went to the bigger engine. Any one have any recommends for a fuel chip.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Cry baby checking in jerk off! Wtf is your deal? I wasnt the one that started bad mouthing you in the first place, and simply defended someone like you that came along with a better design than yours when there was nothing else out there, other members didn't like it and your girlie emotions got the better of you... Grow some thicker skin and stfu... Don't insinuate sh*t and make yourself sound even more stupid than you are!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mpukr9djsocr2
pics of the intake, similar to the guy before. All Spectre parts.

had help with custom cut and fit from GRD performance in Villa Park,IL where I take my Audi's.

What the heck is this? An old sock? Yep, Kustom job alright!
Name:  intake206.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  122.9 KB

Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 AM

X2 on everything Dag said.
You are truly a POS and I don't know how you got back on here.

You have the distinction of being the first member that I have placed on my IGNORE list

See Ya !

Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

He got back on here by rejoining with a new name, email, and IP....

same ole flamer though....

and just like that he's gone again.

I'd like to thank the members that emailed me, and the members that used the reporting system to let me know that he was bothering members again.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM

thats not fair. I wanted to read what the douchebag wrote!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

hey ifn yuo wanna read vicious abusive stuff just read dags posts,,,they never throw him off

oh and his potty mouth iz ok tu

edit,,,tell u what,,better yet,,let your wife and kids readf his posts slowly and pronounce each word,,,let them be the judge of his and mine,,,

hi kids ,,have a nice snow day!!

you can read any of mine in church

Last edited by drtom; 01-14-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Why leave this thread open?

Dagkana is fine in my book . Why you hating Tom? I let my kids read your post, they are laughing (actually we all are at the table right now) because they used better grammar/spelling after 2nd grade.

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants; 01-14-2012 at 02:29 PM.