Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 AM

I'm not sure elongating the hole will fix the problem and padding will only make it worse, per DRTOM, I think it needs to be free floating. Your's broke in the same spot mine did (I posted pics a couple of pages up.) If you read my instructions on how to replace the radiator, the radiator and condenser are bolted to the core support on the drivers side (the passenger side has the radiator and condenser bolted together but not to the core support) so they can't move. The area where the crack is occurring is between the interference point on the top mount and the bolt that holds the radiator/condenser to the core support. You can look through the grille on the driver's side and see the bolt. Since the radiator can't move back from the core support on that side, adding padding or elongating the hole and pushing back on the radiator will increase the stress.

DrTom had it right by cutting the lip off. The radiator needs to move forward at the top mount to alleviate the stress. But if you buy a new radiator you will find the top tank is angled back and provides quite a bit of clearance so GM has quietly addressed the problem but is not owning the design error they made.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 AM

GoHack,

I am happy to hear that the dealership was willing to work with you toward resolution. I hope that this solves the issue. As Michelle mentioned above, please feel free to keep us posted regarding the concern. Thank you.

Tricia, Customer Service.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Banned
Default a side issue

GMCustomerService

does anybody believe the above "member" has anything whatsoever to do with the ,gm,car maker ??!
is there any evidence that the "member" has any authority more than anyone else here!!?

am i missing something,or are u here for your own entertainment and game playing??
tell us one thing u have done in last 12 months to assist a h3 owner in any way??

Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM

You certainly raise some suspicions drtom. I, myself, was curious why they never posted a "1-800" number for us to call!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

[QUOTE GM Social Media Group 2011 North American International Auto Show, Detroit!][/QUOTE]

is this the connection?

is there any other?

is the expression"im calling bs on this one valid?"

Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
nice detective work!!

how about that bolt on the drivers side? could it be ?? ,eliminated ?
the center mount is cushioned huh
I'm not sure if eliminating it might not allow too much movement = stress. Maybe that driver's side mount could be cushioned.

Again, I think it's alright if the interference at the top mount is eliminated. Your method is probably the best method to avoid the problem. The new radiator with the angled tanks is the best way to avoid recurrence.

But ultimately its a plastic radiator tank, it's terminal in the long run. Just trying to delay the inevitable.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 PM

btw,if the crack stays out of the metal crimp ,just in plastic,it can be sealed with a layer of epoxy,a layer of wire screen and another layer of epoxy. i did on a probe rad and it was good years later.
Hey drtom.....clicked on your link and saw the world's largest freighter. You know where it's headed don't you??......from China to Walmart

Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Default 2006 Models are cracking as well, mine just did the same thing. 2006 H3

2006 Models are cracking as well, mine just did the exact same thing. 2006 H3, I ordered a replacement radiator from radiatorexpress.com ($186.00 included shipping). Put it in myself...and we'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted by GoHack
Talking and showing the Hummer technician, he saw that indeed that there was contact happening.

He just so happened to have just replaced a cracked radiator from an '07 H3, which had around 100K miles on it. He showed it to me, and while it did show the contact wear from the top bracket, that's not where it failed. It was cracked along the lower right like in the picture below.

He said that this one was the first one that he had seen fail. I told him about the discussions going on about it on the net, and so he did a little research and didn't know that there was a problem out there w/them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, it appears to be only w/the 2007 models, is this true? the failed one that he had came from a 2007. If that true, it could of simply been a bad batch of radiators maybe.

Anyway back to my case, I had suggested somehow bending that lip down, and he suggested an easier way, by modifying the top bracket by elongating the mounting hole a 1/4 of an inch, allowing the radiator to be moved away that distance from tha edge. I went w/his idea, and he also put a strip of dense foam rubber material in there as well.

He's documented everything, and will keep an eye on my radiator when he services the H3. He's also going to talk to GM about the issue. Sadley, he's the dealership's only remaining trained Hummer technician. The dealership just lost their other trained technician, when he moved to Arizona. I'm sure that this is going to be an increasing problem for us Hummer owners.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 AM

when i remove the center bracket,my rad is free floating. i put it back.
its my belief that ANY pressure from bracket or dense foam will add to the stress problem.

as you know i cut the metal off apx 3/16 in, no contact.
remember the dealer will do ANYTHING to get u out of his hair,make u feel good,,,for now
The hole in the bracket was elongated, allowing the radiator to be pushed away a little, w/the foam added in between. There doesn't appear to be any pressure on the radiator from the foam.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 AM

That's the same crack mine had. I don't know what caused it but I am glad it is fixed. I think it was a bad batch of radiators because my H3 has never been put to offroad stresses prior to me getting it. It was pretty much a garaged street Hummer.

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked