Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Default Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Ok maybe we're becoming a bit on the paranoid side. Just because June 10th 2010 the engine in our '07 H3 blew to pieces. Needing new long block exhaust and more. Thankfully this was under warranty! Then Sept 10, 2010 a mere 18 hours before planned 3500 mile road trip the Radiator starts spewing antifreeze and water! We take to dealer ( We were under direst! Extreme time crunch. ) We pull in and explain leaking they say probably a crack at the top, "they do it all the time" ( This before they ever crack open the hood! ) And it's the one part the keep in stock in abundance! So $803 later we are able to be on the road the next morning. Husband demanded old radiator back which he finally received after a fight. Radiator cracked across right top! Like just about every other radiator issue we have seen. Also to note is groove being worn in top middle of radiator where visible pressure and wear is caused by the body frame at that point! Not to mention the ease of deflection of this wimpy little radiator. All this without off road use! and at 75,000 miles this part out of warranty. This is first vehicle we have owned to have such an issue. None of our past 4 Jeeps / or current Dodge Ram ever have had any such issue with over 250,000 miles each!

Then the kicker we are on the road 2 days and I get a call from a girlfriend had not talked to in months. She's at the Dealer with her H3 and low and behold they have found a crack in her radiator, and it needs replaced. Only she only has 50,000 miles and a couple years so at least was under warranty!

I call the zone and ask why these radiator issues are not a recall or considered a defect in design? They said nothing can be done until they get enough complaints! And they just are not getting any complaints. (Not the dealer but Hummer Direct)
Radiator rubs in the middle on the frame causing stress to the top, crackling cracks . .causing leakage!! We can see the wear starting already on the new one!
Anyone else have this issue call up Hummer direct - Complain - only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. They must have minimum quota of complaints needed before they take seriously. Funny how this is about the only stocking part the dealer knows they have without even looking at the computers

On the plus side the brand new engine seems to be running as well as our original one did . . . But you can bet we will check over the whole unit with a fine toothed comb when nears the 100,000 mile mark!! this is also the first vehicle we have heard of to break a valve keeper or spring to actually drop a valve into a running engine! At least that was not a race engine!

Old 10-08-2010, 05:24 AM

Any chance of you posting a pic showing this wear point area? I have an '08 Alpha. Hummer redesigned the radiator in these, for better cooling of the V8. I'm just wondering if the area in question still exists on the new version.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:29 AM

This is the 5 cylinder 5 speed, so many not be same radiator, or mounting. But yes I'll try to get some pictures upday or tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM

what do you know! I was just at my hummer dealership showing an oil leak my dad found around the Vortec Cover. Said that the hose came lose and they needed to tighten it. They also noticed that my rear axle seal was leaking and my radiator! Thank goodness my dad noticed the initial leak. I ended up taking My Hummer back in. They replaced the real axle seal and replaced my radiator... almost $1200 later. Oh yeah, and a couple months before, my dad noticed a leak from my right front drive axle seal. So I took it in for that.. turns out it wasn't just the seal, the seal had actually rubbed a divit into the axle. which caused the leak. So, i didnt need just a little new seal, it was a whole new axle!! that was approx. $1300 total. I thank God I bought the extended warranty at the time of purchase. It's pretty much paid for the cost! Just to let you know, i'm a pavement driver.. have never offroaded. I am the second owner now. Have had about 6 months and now just turned 60,000mi. Makes me almost think twice if I should of bought this. I do love it.. i love how I feel in it. But it's turning out to be a VERY expensive rig!! I actually had 5 previous different models of Jeeps before this and NEVER had a problem with any of them. And actually took a few of them offroad.. hmmmmmm

Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bajadreamers
Ok maybe we're becoming a bit on the paranoid side. Just because June 10th 2010 the engine in our '07 H3 blew to pieces. Needing new long block exhaust and more. Thankfully this was under warranty! Then Sept 10, 2010 a mere 18 hours before planned 3500 mile road trip the Radiator starts spewing antifreeze and water! We take to dealer ( We were under direst! Extreme time crunch. ) We pull in and explain leaking they say probably a crack at the top, "they do it all the time" ( This before they ever crack open the hood! ) And it's the one part the keep in stock in abundance! So $803 later we are able to be on the road the next morning. Husband demanded old radiator back which he finally received after a fight. Radiator cracked across right top! Like just about every other radiator issue we have seen. Also to note is groove being worn in top middle of radiator where visible pressure and wear is caused by the body frame at that point! Not to mention the ease of deflection of this wimpy little radiator. All this without off road use! and at 75,000 miles this part out of warranty. This is first vehicle we have owned to have such an issue. None of our past 4 Jeeps / or current Dodge Ram ever have had any such issue with over 250,000 miles each!

Then the kicker we are on the road 2 days and I get a call from a girlfriend had not talked to in months. She's at the Dealer with her H3 and low and behold they have found a crack in her radiator, and it needs replaced. Only she only has 50,000 miles and a couple years so at least was under warranty!

I call the zone and ask why these radiator issues are not a recall or considered a defect in design? They said nothing can be done until they get enough complaints! And they just are not getting any complaints. (Not the dealer but Hummer Direct)
Radiator rubs in the middle on the frame causing stress to the top, crackling cracks . .causing leakage!! We can see the wear starting already on the new one!
Anyone else have this issue call up Hummer direct - Complain - only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. They must have minimum quota of complaints needed before they take seriously. Funny how this is about the only stocking part the dealer knows they have without even looking at the computers

On the plus side the brand new engine seems to be running as well as our original one did . . . But you can bet we will check over the whole unit with a fine toothed comb when nears the 100,000 mile mark!! this is also the first vehicle we have heard of to break a valve keeper or spring to actually drop a valve into a running engine! At least that was not a race engine!

hello.....new here but had to share...got my '07 h3 5 months ago, had it a week and had it all packed for vacation.....got the wife and kid in and headin out the driveway and thought i smelled coolant...figured no way, but thought i should check real quick...popped hood...sure enoughit had 6 inch hairline crack in top tank......woulda been a disaster if i left for vacation like that! Only had 34,000 miles on it!!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Must be the season for 07 radiator problems. I noticed a small puddle of fluid under my 07 H3 last night. Lifting the hood I found a small spray of coolant on top of the fan shroud. I could also see coolant seeping out from around the plastic to aluminum joint on the top of the radiator.

My local GM dealer is fixing under warranty. She just turned over 49000 miles.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ruminskirl
Must be the season for 07 radiator problems. I noticed a small puddle of fluid under my 07 H3 last night. Lifting the hood I found a small spray of coolant on top of the fan shroud. I could also see coolant seeping out from around the plastic to aluminum joint on the top of the radiator.

Ok I'm impressed. Dropped the H3 off at 11 AM, just got a call telling me it's ready to pick up. New radiator and s-belt replaced all under warranty. They even offered to come pick me up. That's how you run a business.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:24 PM

Ok I'm impressed. Dropped the H3 off at 11 AM, just got a call telling me it's ready to pick up. New radiator and s-belt replaced all under warranty. They even offered to come pick me up. That's how you run a business.
Were they able to give you any encouraging info as to why 'this shouldn't happen again'?........new radiator design to fix problem, etc.?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Had my '07 H3 radiator replaced a few months ago, only had 37,000 miles on it.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 AM

Hey Guys I am new to the forum but could not help but notice this one. I just purchased a 2007 H3 with 58,000 miles. I purchased it for my wife and we have had it just two weeks when I went to change the oil yesterday. That is when I discovered coolant on the skid plate and the fan shroud when I raised the hood. Was not like this at time of purchase. I carried it to the local GM dealer and found out the radiator is not covered by the drive train warranty. Just 8,000 miles out of warranty. They wanted $471.00 just for the radiator which they would have to order. I then called the dealership where I purchased (local Ford dealership) and they replaced it for me at their cost. LUCKY, I know, great guys. I will be placing a call to hummer but I also would like to see the pic of the rub/stress marks from the radiator that was removed. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked