Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 AM

If it were me I would inspect the system good and look for signs of cracks or leaks. Drive it and see if you smell antifreeze. In the beginning of mine there was no visible crack and I would only sometimes smell antifreeze. I never saw a spot where antifreeze leaked. Maybe mention the problem to the dealer and see if they offer any recourse in case of the leak.

Personally, I put the DexCool back into mine but used the additive as well. The DexCool does seem to have better cooling properties but can damage the internals. The additive stops that. I don't know the effects of just regular coolant. Someone else may have experience with it.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:53 PM

thank you songman, can i add additive right to it or do i need to drain it first?

Old 12-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Our 2007 H3 had it go just over 40k miles; it was replaced under warranty ... now, I need to go outside and check to see if our new-ish (we have 62k now) radiator will end up having the same problem.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:50 AM

Does anyone know the name of the additive to mix with the Dexcool, and where can i get it?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by nachosdosfritos
I had a leak on my h3 also and just replaced it today. Too a few hours but the instructions a few pages back were great. If you replace yours, take a pair of pliers and bend the metal on the core support up and back away from the radiator. Then take a file(Walmart for $3) and sand the rough edges smooth. You can then spray paint the metal black again and it looks good as new. Plus you won't have to worry about your radiator cracking from metal contact anymore.
Anyone have a pic of this support and wear/crack/support area? I saw one pic in this thead of a large crack but cant tell exactly where it is to look on the rad. Sorry if I missed another pic here....

Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by BlueH3
Anyone have a pic of this support and wear/crack/support area? I saw one pic in this thead of a large crack but cant tell exactly where it is to look on the rad. Sorry if I missed another pic here....
Post 70 has a nice picture of the crack in the top,front edge of the plastic top tank. It can crack anywhere in the plastic tank, but the front edge in the center by the support or to either side of the radiator support is most common. Post 113, 2nd pic shows a picture of the radiator from the front and the stains of where rad fluid dripped down onto the core from a crack in the plastic tank.

Last edited by rsc; 01-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Thanks RSC....did not see this photo

OldRadiator.jpg picture by Obranquelinho - Photobucket

Where would the wear be from the support that has been mentioned...anywhere along the plastic??

Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by BlueH3
Thanks RSC....did not see this photo

OldRadiator.jpg picture by Obranquelinho - Photobucket

Where would the wear be from the support that has been mentioned...anywhere along the plastic??
Right in the center

Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 PM
CHP

Originally Posted by rsc
Right in the center
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong perspective, but would the wear from the front support be in the top center of the side that is not shown in the picture?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by CHP
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong perspective, but would the wear from the front support be in the top center of the side that is not shown in the picture?
My bad, I didn't look close enough. Yes, on the reverse of the side shown- the front side. If you have the crack it should fairly easy to spot anywhere in the top tank.

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked