Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 AM
CHP

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I just can't see the area you guys are talking about, where metal is rubbing against the radiator. I've got a heavy, donut shaped grommet between the center support bracket, and the radiator, plastic locator pin, and a heavy foam strip across the entire front of the radiator, between it, and sheet metal. Pics would be great! Thanks.
Take the bracket off and push your finger in between the rad and the rad support right under the bracket. You'll be able to feel the edge and see how the edge has probably cut through the foam rubber. The edge is about 4 ish inches wide. I elongated the hole in my bracket to let me push the raduator away from the edge. Then I put some nylon webbing in between the edge and the radiator to serve as a buffer. Tom has a good idea of trimming the edge back with a cut off wheel.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 AM
rsc

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I just can't see the area you guys are talking about, where metal is rubbing against the radiator. I've got a heavy, donut shaped grommet between the center support bracket, and the radiator, plastic locator pin, and a heavy foam strip across the entire front of the radiator, between it, and sheet metal. Pics would be great! Thanks.
You can't see it on your radiator because there is about a 1" thick foam strip on your radiator between the tank and the front support. I do not have this on my 07 Adv. but have seen it on an 06 Adv. and another non-Adv. but don't remember what year it was. I don't know if this means that my radiator was previously replaced before I bought it with 63K miles last year or if there was a shortage of foam at various times during the production runs?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM

I tried to move the foam to see if the 'problem edge' was lurking underneath it, but the foam is glued in place, and I didn't want to tear it. Drtom has a new '10, and his doesn't have the foam??

Old 04-17-2011, 01:41 PM

A big thanks to drtom!.....after dozens of posts about this design flaw someone FINALLY posted pics of the problem area. By the looks of what I'm seeing, I may very well have this killer flange somewhere buried under my foam camouflage!

drtom: don't forget a little red touch-up paint

Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

yeah,gotta find my victory red nail polish,,,fun job!!, glad u guys got me motivated.
if they put that foam in with that tiny clearance???id be surprised,,or wood i?

Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Just took my center support bracket off, pushed rearward on the radiator, and sure enough, I have the dreaded flange and it was working it's way through the foam! I had some of this stuff, McMaster-Carr, cut a piece about 5" long, put it on the flange, remounted the support bracket, and DONE. Granted, it's not as sure fire as drtom's method, but I didn't want to go hackin' & wackin' on my H3. It took me all of 5 min's. to do, so I figure if I check it once a year, and replace, I'll be good.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:22 AM

I found the problem on my H3 07 as well, lucky for me I do not have the foam that covers the flange. It will make my job easier. One thing fo sure, I will be shaving ElGuapo this weekend.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM

My 07 just started leaking fluid checked it out and it has the hair line crack along the front on drivers side. I called hummer to file a complaint so they have it on record maybe it will help someone in the future. My H3 has 50,700 miles on it and they said its not covered. The cost to repair is over $800. I also have the H2 with multiple problems 34,000 miles( Heated seats are shorted out, wiper motor is shot and there is a recall for the motor but mine is not covered they said. I would not recommend purchasing a hummer to anyone they are garbage( Hope this saves someone money) and they dont stand behind their product. Back to mercedes for me.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

yeah, we know, fords are great too. meantime talk to the hummer guy on his 2nd hunnert thousand!

the're all good when running and junk when broke

Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hummersaregarbage
My 07 just started leaking fluid checked it out and it has the hair line crack along the front on drivers side. I called hummer to file a complaint so they have it on record maybe it will help someone in the future. My H3 has 50,700 miles on it and they said its not covered. The cost to repair is over $800. I also have the H2 with multiple problems 34,000 miles( Heated seats are shorted out, wiper motor is shot and there is a recall for the motor but mine is not covered they said. I would not recommend purchasing a hummer to anyone they are garbage( Hope this saves someone money) and they dont stand behind their product. Back to mercedes for me.
Did you ever speak with Customer Assistance regarding this concern? Did you have a case number? I would like to look into this further for you. In order to do some more research, I will need the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and your case number, if available. Please feel free to contact me here on the thread or via private message. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked