Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM

I had the same issue with my '07 5 speed H3. Cracked radiator just before vacation in August! The dealer said it was not under warranty and there were no recalls. So I took it to a local shop due to the lower cost to replace. I do have the original and complained to Hummer. They said I would need to report it and enough people did then it would be recalled. Well reading everyone’s posts there are enough! Still no response from Hummer.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Hi Jill, We have all had this problem ,but what I found out from my cracked radiator back at the end of June was, It's not Hummers call. When I called and complained to Hummer and they given me a more/less claim number and told me to take it to the dealer.. After talking to at least 3 different dealerships, I was told 3 different scenarios by each.

The reason being! It is totally up to the dealership. I was lucky enough to take it to a small town dealership (NOT HUMMER) and the looked the crack. I told them it was BS because I had just purchased it in April, and from everything I read on the internet there was tons of complaints about the crack and all of them cracks are in the same area.
You need to tell the dealer that and tell them you talked to Hummer and have a claim.. Tell them a lot if folks on the internet are saying the this is a 'A' rank defect and has been covered by Hummer/GM.. If not the dealership can charge you. I had one dealer say they would cover half the cost, another saying its not covered and it would cost me somewhere around 600.00 and then I took it to Niswonger Chevrolet in Wapakoneta, Ohio. They took care of it and did not cost me a single cent other than gas up to there, seeing I live about 20 miles south.

Good luck..

Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 PM

What's the number for the hummer direct?

Old 01-28-2012, 06:28 PM

What's the 1-800 number for hummer?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by MonieH
What's the 1-800 number for hummer?
Is 1(866) HUMMER6 what your looking for? From GM's old hummer page

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM

@rsc, Thanks.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
CHP

I've just joined the leaky rad club. 2006 auto tranny 51400 miles.

I've been searching online for reasonably priced replacements and I've seen several places selling Silla brand for 120 ish with free shipping. Seems like it's about half of a Delco radiator. They do offer a lifetime warranty. This has the same plastic tank ends as the stock radiator.

Anyone have any info about Silla?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM

I originally went the same route as you and went price shopping for the best deal on an aftermarket radiator. Thank goodness the one they sent me had the wrong connectors for the trans lines so I had to send it back. That is when I went to a local shop and the guy showed me what was inside the tanks of those aftermarket radiators. I've documented my experience in this thread but I know it is a lot of pages. Basically, an aftermarket radiator is not even close to being built as well as a factory radiator internally. Yeah, it will fit and looks the same on the outside but that is about it. Radiators are like brakes... Do you really want to price shop on items like that? For around $250 you should be able to get a local respectable radiator shop to rebuild your factory radiator and it will be a lot better than any aftermarket replacement radiator you can find. For that price, it should include everything including new fluids and a warranty. No matter what you do, make sure and get the additive to protect the radiator from the DexCool.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Called hummer, got my case number and should be off to the dealer for a diagnosis. Good thing is that I complained about coolant smell while it was in warrantee. Bad thing it was a different dealer that has since been sold and no longer my dealer. I hope I can find the receipt from that complaint.

p.s. Thanks to all of the previous posters. I hope I can get my radiator fixed for the diagnosis fee, or even less.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM

noticed monday my rad was cracked in the exact same spot. was smelling rad fluid so i popped the hood and low and behold 5 inch hairline crack. extended warranty from carmax covered it. i had a a mechanic i always use do the repair. my wife broght the h3 into some quick lube place before i noticed the crack, and they told her that her rad fluid was low so they topped it up... ok it was dexcool in there (the orange stuff) they added the green stuff. my mechanic never drained the resevoir looks like because there is still some green in there. my temp is much higher now then where it used to be before i changed the rad. its at the temp mark right after the halfway point... it barely reached the halfway point before. could it be the mixing of the orange stuff and green stuff? i think i need to bring it to get flushed.

Last edited by jtracc; 03-02-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked