Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Radio/starting almost by itself, dead battery, will start in about 10 min

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 11:55 PM
Default Radio/starting almost by itself, dead battery, will start in about 10 min

Hi, I'm new, but have a few questions and hopefully someone can give me some honest advice. Anyway, bought a 2007 H3 luxury a few months ago, beautiful exterior, interior, not a drop of rust, bought from private owner for 7000(125,000 miles), was told needed small repairs for ABS, well after 5000 extra at mechanic, thought I was finally good, until today! So, do not think I have any remote start, not sure 100% though, and while inside convenient store, saw my cars lights come on, and it was trying to start, unsuccessful, but when I ran over and tried to start, dead battery, yet I tried 15 min later and it started, WHY? I felt like the movie Christine! The other issue after mechanic, the radio doesn't work, but just replaced key fob battery, changed fuse, no clue? Thank you for any help or ideas, and I LOVE THE CAR, and after thousands extra, I'm committed now, so would love any advice without costing me another fortune, thanks again!

Old 12-29-2023, 01:47 AM
Question Radio/starting almost by itself, dead battery, will start in about 10 min

Hi, I'm new, but have a few questions and hopefully someone can give me some honest advice. Anyway, bought a 2007 H3 luxury a few months ago, beautiful exterior, interior, not a drop of rust, bought from private owner for 7000(125,000 miles), was told needed small repairs for ABS, well after 5000 extra at mechanic, thought I was finally good, until today! So, do not think I have any remote start, not sure 100% though, and while inside convenient store, saw my cars lights come on, and it was trying to start, unsuccessful, but when I ran over and tried to start, dead battery, yet I tried 15 min later and it started, WHY? I felt like the movie Christine! The other issue after mechanic, the radio doesn't work, but just replaced key fob battery, changed fuse, no clue? Thank you for any help or ideas, and I LOVE THE CAR, and after thousands extra, I'm committed now, so would love any advice without costing me another fortune, thanks again!

Old 12-29-2023, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Missitha
Welcome to the forum! Glad you like your H3 and hope you always enjoy it. Ownership of anything is expensive these days. Obviously, your battery was not dead.
Have you replaced those awful factory battery connectors?
THAT IS AN IMPORTANT KEY TO H3 HAPPINESS!
You will be reminded of that by Doc Olds and maybe others. Do not take this suggestion lightly.
Enjoy every day!

Old 12-29-2023, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. $5K is likely your "mechanic" sensing your lack of automotive knowledge and seeing your wallet. You did buy at a bit below going price so you should have researched what was wrong and anticipated repair costs into your price.

Anyways, congrats on your H3.

If you have the OEM key fob you do not have remote start. If your H3 still has the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors, they have got to go as they are a well documented always fail part causing electrical Gremlins. Replace with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.

Does your H3 have a sunroof? If so, has the passenger side floor/carpet ever been wet? That causes water damage to the BCM and another major source of electrical Gremlins. Assuming yes, please review this. Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Your Battery is clearly not dead. More research for you. Look up GM Passlock, you have an issue with it. Search hear for threads on how to clean your ignition switch and connections with CRC Electronics Cleaner. Educate your Mechanic of find a much better one.

Next time, post ONE Thread and wait for answers.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 12-29-2023 at 11:27 AM.