Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

New Caliper -or- caliper repair kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:21 PM
Default New Caliper -or- caliper repair kit?

Had a right rear brake squealing so I knew it was time for new pads at the least, but on the road today when coming to a stop, had to lay on the brake hard to stop. Got to a safe place and found brake fluid sprayed all over the wheel well and covering the inner side of the tire (brake,abs,traction,fluid lights and led messages all lit) so my question to all you Hummer H3 gurus and gear heads: along with a new rotor and pads, will I need a new caliper or just a caliper repair kit? I have a trusted mechanic that normally does all my service but he won't be able to take it any time soon, so I will likely have to take it to one of two local shops that are notorious for overcharging if you don't know your stuff. I know it can't be diagnosed over a thread, but I just want a general idea of what it might need BEFORE I tow it somewhere so I don't get charged for stuff that I don't need. (being a gal who owns a Hummer shouldn't be a crime!) Anyone have something like this happen to their H3? Thanks!

Old 09-22-2019, 12:57 AM

I'm going to recommend first inspection than diagnosis.

Could be loose or missing bleeder valve. Could be burst hose. Could be ruptured/damaged caliper.
If of course you've done do diligence and know what it is just go with replacement caliper to save shop time. Jmho

Old 09-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. Year and miles would have been helpful info.

Calipers are fairly cheap. You may have a bad brake hose which is also not an expensive item. If it was the hose, then the caliper is probably fine.

Good luck.