PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H1 problem question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Default H1 problem question

I have a question. I have a 1995 H1. Has anyone ever had a problem with your rear brakes? I took my hummer up to the mountains this weekend. And the whole trip my brakes worked great. But when I got back into town, I went to stop at a light. And my back right tire sounded like it locked up and was just bouncing across the pavement. It sounded so bad and shook the hummer around like crazy. But it only happens when I'm slowing down and about to stop. I climbed under the hummer. And it looks like the brake pad is really worn down. So I'm hoping I only need new pads. But I wanted to ask before I tried to change the pads. To see if anyone has ever had this problem and if it was just the pads or something else as well. Any suggestions would be great. I hope I can get it fixed soon so I can take my hummer to Pismo.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Default RE: H1 problem question

Without knowing more about the issue, my first guess would be that you have at least one warped rotor in the rear.

It could be any number of issues, based on what you describe it is hard to tell, but sometimes a brake caliper seizes up, and causes one side to wear the pad down prematurely. Especially while coming down mountain roads, if a brake is seized up, you may not notice that it is holding you back. Or, depending on how much you used the brakes coming down a mountain road you could have just overheated them by riding them. Either way, overheating your brakes can cause rotor warp, which could cause a "bouncing" or "wobbling" feeling as you slow or come to a stop.

Do you use your e-brake frequently? Sometimes that can be the source of the caliper seizing up, when someone doesn't use it frequently and then applies it at some point.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:48 PM

Yes I do use the e-brake everynight to park in my driveway. And I did feel the rotor. It didn't feel warped to bad if any at all. I'll look at it again today. Maybe I'll take a couple of picture to. But you dont think its the caliper? Just the rotor and brake pads? Ok well thank you very much for the info. And I'll try to get more info on my brakes condition. I'm really just hoping its something that I can fix myself. I dont want to drive it anywhere. For fear that driving it will mess something else up.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 PM

It is good you use the e-brake regularly -- most mechanics say the rule is "either use it every time, or never at all."

Obviously, a quick inspection of the output flange at the differential, and CV joints on the halfshaft would be a good idea, too.

As far as the condition of your calipers, if the brakes are indeed seized up on one side, you will probably need a new brake caliper. The rear caliper you would need to get from a Hummer dealer, but the good news is that the rotors on your '95 are the same on all corners, and they are an old AMC Eagle part, so you can usually get them in short order without breaking the bank from a local autoparts store with one of the following part numbers:

ACDelco 18037672
GM 12338387
NAPA 86591
Raybestos 56591

If you need extra brake pads for the other side (a new caliper from AM General comes loaded with new pads, I believe) you should get those at the dealership, too.