PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Default Brake Replacement

Today I ventured into the area of changing my brakes and for the most part, up until the point I took apart the caliper by accident, was easy. Removing and replacing the rotors was pretty quick.

Now, onto the sad part, and the reason for this post. I removed the wrong bolts and the caliper components came apart, thus leaking brake fluid. One of the inner plastic seals broke and now I'm purchasing a new caliper, much to my chagrin. Once the new part comes in, replacing the caliper will be easy, but I want to know how to bleed the brakes. I believe the master cylinder is full. What is the automatic process and what is the hydraulic process? I don't have a scan tool so I can't run the bleed process as described in the manual. I've searched for previous posts but there wasn't much information as many of the members have left this forum.

I need help here. I know I can do this, and I need to get my Hummer back on the road as it is currently sitting in my garage.

Thanks.

Bill

Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 AM

Reading the bleed process in the service manual, it appears to not be all that bad of a process, albeit I will need two people. After I get this done, I'm thinking about getting my lines and system flushed anyway! The only problem is, I need to get this done, and the Hummer running on the road safely to do it.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 AM

you could always get a stick to hold down the brake pedal and do it yourself!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:12 AM

they make hand vacuum pump brake bleeding kits that make bleeding your brakes pretty easy, they also catch the excess fluid and you can use them by yourself.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM

I did this also today and accidently loosened the caliper half bolts, allowing fluid to leak between the caliper halves. I lost quite a bit of fluid so ended up opening the bleeder zerk after reassembly of the halves and pushed the pedal down once or twice to push fluid and any air out (between the halves must have had some air). I was alone so could not have another hold the brake down. The fluid shot out of the zerk, just wondering will this allow a resuck in of air? I let it gravity bleed a bit then tightened. The location of the bleeder on top should allow th air to rise out, correct?

I needed a 18mm socket for the main caliper retention bolts so abandoned the brake job today.

Feels ok to drive it a bit but still worried on this. Any concern of still air entrapement if it feels decent after a few miles?

Last edited by BlueH3; 10-14-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM

Have it checked by a qualified mechanic. Brake failure will not be fun