Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Light bar in grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by H3Ray
My question to WINCH GUYS OR GUYS WHO HAVE A WINCH ON THE FRONT ... where do you put the Light Bar?
i happen to have a full winch bumper that houses my Warn within, but below the vent where dukie placed his 28". then out front i have the KCs on an NFab light bar just above. see avatar

Old 11-12-2015, 04:01 PM

H3Ray - both are 911's, Colorado, dual US/UK Citizen - I work like a dog and don't have kids!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:07 PM

Brackets - left side shown, everything bought at Ace Hardware straight off the shelf.

Basically uses the existing bumper bolt to attach a mending plate which the bracket that comes with the light connects to with a nut and bolt. On the upper connection, I used 3 mending plates to push the light up and forward into the grill space so it sits flush. Lockwashers and Loctite a must, my light bar has been on a few months, not had to tighten it - rock solid.

Attached Thumbnails Light bar in grill-lightbar-1.jpg   Light bar in grill-lightbar-2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Hope this helps, only other advice I can give is get it all installed loosely, position the light exactly where you want it and then tighten everything up. It's a little fiddly and smaller hands would be a bonus - but this way you can center the light and adjust height and position within the grill opening.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 PM

very much appreciated my friend.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:24 PM

HummDingr, no problem at all sir - always happy to help. You get stuck or have any questions just give me a shout.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dukie748
Brackets - left side shown, everything bought at Ace Hardware straight off the shelf.

Basically uses the existing bumper bolt to attach a mending plate which the bracket that comes with the light connects to with a nut and bolt. On the upper connection, I used 3 mending plates to push the light up and forward into the grill space so it sits flush. Lockwashers and Loctite a must, my light bar has been on a few months, not had to tighten it - rock solid.
Perfect, you are a lifesaver! That looks solid. Did those bending bars come pre-cut and drilled, or did you have to cut and drill? Either way do you remember the length of the bars?

Thanks much appreciated!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:00 PM

Dukie, thank you for all the info and photos. Can you enlighten me on how/where the electrical connections were made, and how/where you run the wires for the interior switch?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 PM

Hey Torquetwister, they were off the shelf - didn't cut or drill - truck is at work, I'll see if I can measure them tomorrow. Only other thing I did was install a couple of large washers beneath the mounts supplied with the light bar, each mount has a rubber base - wanted to give it something to 'stick' to.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 PM

timpossible - I purchased a basic wiring harness and rigged it to the battery. Also purchased a Hummer OE exterior light switch for the dash, but it didn't work so I used the cheap-*** switch that came with the harness, mounted it to the right of the steering wheel. I'll take some pics.

Quick Reply: Light bar in grill