Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Light bar in grill

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Default Light bar in grill

Anyone tried it? I found a 28" wide x 2.75" high light bar which would fit almost perfectly recessed into the space currently occupied by the vented plastic grill beneath the word 'HUMMER'. I figure the radiator / cooling would probably be okay as the upper rad vents / holes are entirely unobstructed.

Thoughts?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:00 PM

yeah, get rid of the plastic. it will come out with effort thru the front,without breaking up. i did mine and you will find some mounting studs/bolts already waiting there!

Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 PM

Light / mounts / harness / switch ordered, if it works out I'll post pics.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 PM

Just finished my install tonight 22" bar in the lower grill...looks awesome and is super bright...custom bent some mounting brackets out of abs plastic and install was super easy

Attached Thumbnails Light bar in grill-image.jpg  
Old 07-20-2015, 10:46 PM

I bought a 28" curved unit, almost perfect in terms of the light bar shape matching the curve of the grill, all fits pretty snugly. Had to custom rig some mounts but it was worth it, looks superb. Need to install the switch / harness but holy ****, these things are bright! Pics to follow.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:49 AM

That would look awesome in between my brushguard. would you mind posting what and where you bought?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Here's how it worked out, pleased with it - you can see the light almost follows the curve of the body panel perfectly and is snug top to bottom.

28" curved light on eBay:
Eyourlife 144W 28'' Curved Spot Flood Work Light Bar Truck Jeep 4WD Ute SUV BL1 | eBay

Harness with relay:
Off Road LED Light Bar on Off Power Switch 40 Amp Relay Wiring Harness 1 Lamp | eBay

Switch:
Hummer H3 Off Road Lamp Switch Wire Harness P N 88963885 | eBay

Attached Thumbnails Light bar in grill-hummer-light-1.jpg   Light bar in grill-hummer-light-2.jpg   Light bar in grill-hummer-light-3.jpg  
Old 07-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by dukie748
Here's how it worked out, pleased with it - you can see the light almost follows the curve of the body panel perfectly and is snug top to bottom.

28" curved light on eBay:
Eyourlife 144W 28'' Curved Spot Flood Work Light Bar Truck Jeep 4WD Ute SUV BL1 | eBay

Harness with relay:
Off Road LED Light Bar on Off Power Switch 40 Amp Relay Wiring Harness 1 Lamp | eBay

Switch:
Hummer H3 Off Road Lamp Switch Wire Harness P N 88963885 | eBay
Looks great. I've been considering doing the same for mine. Would you mind posting (if you have any) pics of the install or at least the brackets you used. Also, how deep within the grill area does the light set in? I guess what I'm trying to say is that my winch control box is mounted to the center post right behind the chrome grill. The port for connection to the controller is accessible there as well, but the control box may cause an install issue if the two clash within the tight space.
How about the light output? I'm really curious about that as well, and if you thought it might cause airflow to the radiator issues. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:49 PM

Truck is being serviced so I can't take pics right now. I used the brackets that came with the light along with some stiff metal plates and used existing mounting points, then I used some more plates to push the light unit forward and into the grill space. Lock washers and Loctite seems to hold everything in place nicely.

I'm not too worried about the air flow as many others have done something similar, whether it be with a light bar or winch - and anyway, the upper and larger part of the grill / radiator is entirely unobstructed. The light shouldn't interfere in any way with the control box as it doesn't take up much space and is lower and forward, there's still 4 or so inches of clear space behind it.

Light output is, as Jeremy Clarkson put it - like a collapsed sun - I'll take some shots when I get the truck back.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:22 PM

cant wait to see the pics. i asked about airflow because i have the NFAB light bar with 4 KC's sitting in front of the grill and this set up would fall just below. while the KC's are bright, they are old school bright (dingy yellow). The wife won't let me take them off but is o.k. with me putting the 42" curved up top that i just recently acquired. She has no idea that I'm planning something for the lower grill just as you've done.

Quick Reply: Light bar in grill