PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

leveling and shocks question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
You can only raise the front 24" max with the torsion bar adjustment.
You can waste money on reindexing keys but you still can only go to 24" max.
That is approx. level with stock rear shackles.
If you add longer rear shackles you will be raked again.

You CANNOT adjust the front any higher. The IFS cannot handle the extreme angles.
And them's the facts...Jack!

Unlike nearly all other factory IFS rigs, the H3 was designed with abundant lift adjustment in factory form.
Thus, the index spacers are worthless as they'd only allow more unsafe turns of the key.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 PM

hmm wouldnt these spacers make it alot easier on the adjustment aspect? is it as simple as putting the spacers in and then tightening down the bolts, or do you still have to measure? I figured this would take the guess work out of how many turn to crank the bolt.
maybe i should just return it?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons
hmm wouldnt these spacers make it alot easier on the adjustment aspect? is it as simple as putting the spacers in and then tightening down the bolts, or do you still have to measure? I figured this would take the guess work out of how many turn to crank the bolt.
No easier. It can't be any easier than lifting it as it sits now. You simply turn both sides an equal amount until you achieve the desired lift you want. If one side is lower than the other, simply crank that side until they are both level. 23.75" or less seems to be the accepted max range.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:27 PM

There is no set number of turns of the adjustment bolt.
Everyone seems to be different and most people reported a different number of turns side to side.
Cranking, measuring for 23.75 or 23.50, drive around a little, let it settle, then readjust to your measurement, let it settle, then get an alignment.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM

alright ,thanks for the info guys.!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 PM

You can use the "SEARCH" button before buying anything for your rig especially leveling kits.

It would save the Original Thread Stater time and $. It would also save the responders from typing the same thing 100s of times.

Large threads on this exact subject from the last 4 1/2 months: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...s-tires-30693/

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...opinion-27651/

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ing-kit-29887/

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ing-kit-30466/

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...s-tires-29660/

Old 05-18-2013, 12:08 AM

My H3 sits at 24" at the rear, and the front only went to 23 1/2 inches with the bolts cranked right up, I did not like the fact that the adjustment was at it's maximum so I backed it up a bit and I settled on 23" for the front.

I did as mentioned by 'Bunger' above after driving the H3 I rechecked and adjusted the bolts till I was happy.

I would love to be able to raise the back to 25" and the front to 24 or 24 1/2", the back is no issues as I can easily get the back springs re set to 25" at reasonable cost, but the front is already out of adjustment.

Happy to buy some longer shocks as well to suit.

So people are saying there is no way you can raise the front past the adjustment??

If that is the case I will just leave it as is, and I will make some spacers for the front shocks to give them better travel at the new 23" height and leave the standard shocks in place, and replace them when they are worn out (Still good at this stage)

Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons
The spacers are only there so the bolts don't run out of adjustment, for $60 you might as well use them as they come with the shackles, so the spacers really cost you nothing anyway.

The adjustment is really easy, just follow the instructions with the kit and you will be fine.

If anything I believe you will not really need the shocks, as long as yours are still in order.

Since I don't use the rear shackles as they are banned over here I will just make up my own spacers for the shocks.

Last edited by Aussie H3; 05-18-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 AM

You can use the "SEARCH" button before buying anything for your rig especially leveling kits.

i did use the search function but was looking to see if anybody used the same kit i bought. i didnt see any for sure answers. I always use the search function before starting a new thread.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 AM

aussie the reason i believe my shocks wont work is because the ranchos i out on only have about 2.25 inchs of travel were as the oem shocks have 4 inchs of travel. So if i raise the front 2 inches then i only have 1/4 inch of travel and the ride would be very stiff. Am i correct in this assumption?

Quick Reply: leveling and shocks question