Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

HELP no start, starter replacment

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Default HELP no start, starter replacment

So my wife went to the dollar store the other day and the H3 was running fine. She came out of the dollar store and tried to start and got a few clicks and the entire electrical system shut down. I was thinking dead battery so I tried to jump it. I put the cables on and let it charge for a few min, tried to start, nothing. Have it towed back home, get it in the garage, open the hood and tried to start it. To my complete shock the positive post started throwing sparks! So I check to make sure everything is tight, its all as tight as can be. I try it again and same thing, then got complete shutdown. After 1min or so the system reset and all lights came back on. I check all fuses and relays and all are good, everything is tight. I try it one more time and sparks fly from the positive post then complete shutdown again.

My thought is the starter solenoid is grounding out and back feeding back to the battery. I cannot test this theory until I figure out how to get the starter out. How the heck do you get the starter out without tearing the top half of he engine apart?? I pulled the wheel and the inner fender and can see it and get to it, but cant see anywhere to get it out! Help please!

Old 03-05-2018, 01:41 PM

Here is a video of a 06 Colorado with starter replacement information. It should give you the starter steps.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Still using the OEM crappy azzed Battery Terminal Connectors?

If so, your trying to tighten the positive toasted that one, they are absolute junk. Number 1 known cause for electrical Gremlins. Replace them with a quality aftermarket set, like Stingers or your favorite brand.

Search it out for more info if you like.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:57 AM

So this is too late for woody but I just replaced the starter on my 2008 H3...I resisted the idea of removing the intake manifold like the manual and online videos show. I was able to replace the starter without removing it by disconnecting the cooling line that runs across that side of the engine and the thermostat assembly on the lower radiator hose. (I purchased my H3 recently and it had the original coolant hoses so I figured they needed replacing anyway). It is a tight fit and you have to wiggle the starter getting the old one out and the new one in but you don't have to remove the intake.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:12 AM
Default Top starter nut. 06 h3

Originally Posted by designasaurus
So this is too late for woody but I just replaced the starter on my 2008 H3...I resisted the idea of removing the intake manifold like the manual and online videos show. I was able to replace the starter without removing it by disconnecting the cooling line that runs across that side of the engine and the thermostat assembly on the lower radiator hose. (I purchased my H3 recently and it had the original coolant hoses so I figured they needed replacing anyway). It is a tight fit and you have to wiggle the starter getting the old one out and the new one in but you don't have to remove the intake.
I'm not sure how to get to the to starter nut. I have the bolt and selinoid disconnected. Thanks