Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

P0411 is the code from H*LL! Fixed everything(?) I think. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 02:53 PM
Unhappy P0411 is the code from H*LL! Fixed everything(?) I think. Now what?

I've spent the last few weeks working on my 2008 H3 that I just picked up about 3 months ago. I got a solid deal on it, so I was prepared to spend some time (and money) getting her up and running the way she should be. With about 154,000 miles on her, I feel if I treat her right, she's got a little bit more juice left.

Anyway, the check engine light came on after only a few days of riding around locally, and so I scanned and got the code "P0411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected." I've seen from multiple other posts that this seems to be a common code with the H3's. Took it to my mechanic and they recommended replacing my Secondary Air Pump, as well as my Secondary Air Injection Valve. Now... I don't know much about cars/trucks... but from the light research I've done... this seemed to be the fix. So I OK'd the repairs, ordered my own parts and then had them get to work. Unfortunately, when I went to pickup, the Engine Light was still on and giving the same P0411 code. Within minutes I noticed that the hose running into what I believe to be the valve was ripped. (More like a clean slit, which I personally think was made by the careless mechanic. But that's neither here nor there.) They told me this was why the scanner was still giving me the same code. I was frustrated, but I had them order a new hose--which was really cheap-- and install it.

Once again when I went to pickup, the same code popped up and the engine light was still on.

My mechanics are not American, so there is a language barrier to some extent. But they seemed to be proud of their work and they stood by it, claiming the light would go off after 200 or so miles. I've turned it off with my scanner twice and it usually comes back on after about 50-75 miles. Now I am just leaving it on to see if it will ever go off on it's own. I must say, the car still rides well and I notice no other obvious issues in terms of how it drives/handles. Still, I am def. done with these mechanics btw. Or I suppose I will be, depending on the advice/fix you guys give me!

Basically... I would like to know why this code is still popping up, because I would like to get this check engine light off. It's annoying and with it being a new purchase, I'd like to solve all major issues during what I have labeled the "honeymoon months."

Here's the thing though: I noticed from looking at the new hose that it seems to be fastened "weird..." It seems almost "bent" or crooked. Mechanic said he fastened it in a particular way as for it to not make contact with a part of the engine that could have caused the previous damage... (Once again I don't believe that's what happened... but whatever....) Regardless... I would not be surprised if this is inhibiting airflow. Similar to the way you bend a water hose to stop the flow of water.

What do you guys think? Check out the photos below. . Any suggestions help. If it's not the hose... what could it be?

Grateful for all contributions.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM

Those hoses look butchered and I can't see the connections on the pump? Side of the pump(outlet) to the valve, top of the pump(inlet) to the cai: