Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Horn Chirp at lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 01:12 PM

Hahaha the type of horn really doesn't bother me so I'm okay with the factory one too (two factory one's installed on mine by the previous owner)

Old 04-02-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Just for the heck of it disconnect one horn. Maybe the amp draw from the extra horn is too much for the 'chirp' signal. Possibly the steering wheel button works because that's going thru a different circuit that can handle the extra load.
Okay so I did this as follows;

Disconnected the left one first and checked if it's working from the inside - it did but no chirp still.
Disconnected the second one and did the same - works from the inside but not the chirp.

Basically both are working but no chirp regardless.
Pictures of the setup attached.

Left to right to get an idea of the connection

Left factory horn with OE harness visible at the bottom

OE harness and workaround done to connect both

Right additional horn

Old 04-02-2021, 05:30 PM

Test the theft deterrent system.
Jump into the drivers seat with all doors closed.
Use the rke to lock the doors.
Look at the cluster, security indicator should be flashing(pic below).
Manually unlock the drivers door and open.
Does the horn sound?

Old 04-02-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Test the theft deterrent system.
Jump into the drivers seat with all doors closed, use the rke to lock the doors.
Look at the cluster, security indicator should be flashing(pic below).
Manually unlock the drivers door and open.
Does the horn sound?

I'm sure that works. As I mentioned that my driver door lock actuator is bad and due for replacement soon, I have to use the key to lock and unlock the door whilst the rest of the doors lock with the rke. Point being; if I mistakenly open the driver door whilst the rest of the doors are locked, the horn goes off to alarm, so I'm pretty sure it'll work the same if I do it from the inside.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:51 PM

I posted the diagram above(door switches, not actuators), With doors closed, rke lock, does the security light flash?

Old 04-03-2021, 07:49 AM

I posted the diagram above(door switches, not actuators), With doors closed, rke lock, does the security light flash?
I mentioned the actuators just to explain why I could open the driver door from the outside whilst all other doors are locked and cause the horn to go off as an alarm.

So anyway I did as you asked and yes, the security indicator flashes and unlocking manually and opening the door triggers the alarm/horn

Old 04-03-2021, 03:56 PM

Snow melted and 50's today, checked my factory horn, it's a klaxon. I set to rfa-2. Horn sounds when lock button is pressed on the rke. It also sounds with the drivers door open when the lock button is pressed on the rke.
You have an issue with your aftermarket horns or bcm.
OE horn:

Old 04-03-2021, 04:08 PM

Snow melted and 50's today, checked my factory horn, it's a klaxon. I set to rfa-2. Horn sounds when lock button is pressed on the rke. It also sounds with the drivers door open when the lock button is pressed on the rke.
You have an issue with your aftermarket horns or bcm.
OE horn:

Even the South African/European/Middle Eastern models have the same Klaxon horn?
Strange that it works in every situation but just not for the chirp

Old 04-03-2021, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nonibot
Even the South African/European/Middle Eastern models have the same Klaxon horn?
Strange that it works in every situation but just not for the chirp
Port Elizabeth, South Africa assembly plant, would not go out and buy horns stamped "HORN", besides the OE wires to the horn is green & black. Maybe Doc Olds or Broken Halo could test RFA-2 with AM horns?

Old 04-03-2021, 04:59 PM

Port Elizabeth, South Africa assembly plant, would not go out and buy horns stamped "HORN", besides the OE wires to the horn is green & black. Maybe Doc Olds or Broken Halo could test RFA-2 with AM horns?
LMAO yeah, the black wire is still attached to the OE harness and the green wire is out and rewired and runs to both horns. There is some taping on the black one too, not sure what's really happening there.
I'm not electrically inclined. AT ALL. 😂

Quick Reply: H3 Horn Chirp at lock not working