Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Brakes, Brakes, Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM

lol.. Yall crazy.. And I was waiting on Docs opinion he is very knowledgeable. I understand the whole bs of drilled/slotted.. I had them on my imports when I used to race. But I wanted to know specifically for the H3s.. I think I had my rotors replace about 50K i can't remember. But I will look more into it before I make a decision. It is cheaper now days to just buy new rotors instead of just having them turned. If you can find someone that knows wtf their doing when turing the brake rotors..

Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 PM

If you use your hummer off road drilled/slotted rotor are not the way to go.
Also drilled rotors are more prone to cracking and do not stop you faster in daily operation.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM

Well, i understand about normal and drilled and blotted. My rotors were shot because the h3 sat for a fewbmonths before i bought it. They were rusted to sh%#. So i got the drilled not slotted because i found them a bit cheaper than oem. Also they were from within Canada and made here so i knew the quality would be there. I had many doubts as to whether they would be as good or wear too bad. The pads had a bunch of dust coming off i suppose until they got seated to the rotors. I knew the drilled would be wearing pads faster, but not as bad as slotted. So i figured they would be ok.
I like them and do not notice the pads wearing too bad. And the stopping improved. But then again any rotors compared to rusted and barely making contact in some spots rotors.
Either way new brakes are good.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 AM

Stock rotors and ceramic pads.

H3's came factory with ceramic pads on all 4 corners.

Anything less will make a dusty mess out of everything associated with your brakes, including your wheels.

Cheap pads will also make your active stability, and abs less effective due to brake fade.

Ceramic pads do not suffer from fade brought on by heat.

If you're on stock silver painted wheels, they are clear coated, and will over time become stained yellow with cheap pads.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 AM

I personally think that the braking system on my H3 is awesome. I had a couple of really close calls where if they would not have stopped me one time, I probably would have drove right thru this sports car that pulled out in front of me on the highway with me going 65. When I did my brakes, I kept my OEM rotors on and used the AC Delco Duralast. Work just fine and quiet as can be..

Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM

So I going to keep the stock rotors and just do a high quality pad. Any suggestions??

Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 AM

Just installed OEM pads on the front at 42,000 miles. They had some life left in them. Did not do anything to the rotors and the braking is smooth and straight. The rears are at about half life. Most of my driving is city.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM

Just did my fronts also at 45K a few weeks ago. Went with the Raybestos Advanced Ceramics which I think are the best pads. Put them on my old C5 also. Stop great no dust!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie H3
It seems if people ask a question that has been asked in the last 5 years they get criticized for not searching the forum enough, yet if they dig up a thread that is more than a month old they get criticized for digging up old threads

At this rate we will all just sit here in silence with no new discussions or threads. I think a new thread will get new members ideas and input and fosters healthy discussion, and keeps the forum moving and interesting.

Just saying

PS I think the H3 brakes are better than most 4x4 trucks/vehicles I have driven, and I have driven most of them over the years as part of my job and also vehicles I have owned, including, Toyota Landcruiser, Hilux, Jeeps, Nissan Patrol, etc etc.
You are so Right! We should help out each
there out New products come out, that wasn't out 5 years ago