PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with 2006 H3 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Default Whats wrong with 2006 H3 brakes

Whats wrong with 2006 H3 brakes? I think its rear only not sure. Just before I come to a stop you hear the rear end grind like metal rubbing together. Someone told me they have to take the brakes off and grind something down. Is this something I have to have done. Is it causing damage to anything. Or is it just an unpleasent noise. I can prolly live with it unless it is causing my brakes to go bad faster than normal. What exactly is this?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Default RE: Whats wrong with 2006 H3 brakes

Hi,

I posted this earlier. The rear brake rotorscan become glazed along with the pins that are holding the pads in the calipers. Mine had this problem and it sounded like metal on metal on a steep grade. Dealer machined the rotors, lubed the pins and replaced the pads. Since that time everything has been fine.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM

https://www.hummerforums.com/m_33093/tm.htm

Old 01-16-2007, 09:42 PM

I've heard this is happening to a couple of folks... It's a warranty thing, but you've got to find a dealer that know's how tofix it and is willing to do so.. GM is saying it's not a problem and that it's normal so they don't have a fix for it.. BUT...

What is happening is a harmonic resonance is being created by the brakes.. Same thing as squeeling brakes, just a different frequency.. To correct the pads need to have THIN shims between the back of the pad and the puck inside the caliper.. They also need to have the leading edge of the pad chamfered off at a 45 degree angle.. Thats the grinding you heard about...

I think more than anything it's just an unpleasant noise.. But like smoke and fire.. Anytime you've got noise and vibration, I can't help but think something might eventually fatigue and break..

Old 01-17-2007, 02:29 AM

Dunno what u mean lol "What is happening is a harmonic resonance is being created by the brakes.. Same thing as squeeling brakes, just a different frequency.." I actually feel it on my brake peddle it vibrates so bad. You cant just tell whats going on from a sound but to me it sounds like the brake pad grabbing and slipping on the rotor along with some metal grinding in. So are you saying everytime I replace the pads I have to grind 45 degree angle of the leading edge of the pad? Whats the purpose of doing this? thanx for you help

Old 01-17-2007, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: H3MAX
So are you saying everytime I replace the pads I have to grind 45 degree angle of the leading edge of the pad? Whats the purpose of doing this? thanx for you help
Very possibly so.. I do it everytime I replace the brakes on my motorcycle.. It creates sort of a ramp and just lets the edge of the pad slide and not grab..

I'm trying to come up with some clever description for this, but am coming up with zip here... Except may that it's easier to climb a ledge that looks like this.. ____/ Than one that looks like this.. _____|

Old 01-18-2007, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Crash

ORIGINAL: H3MAX
So are you saying everytime I replace the pads I have to grind 45 degree angle of the leading edge of the pad? Whats the purpose of doing this? thanx for you help
Very possibly so.. I do it everytime I replace the brakes on my motorcycle.. It creates sort of a ramp and just lets the edge of the pad slide and not grab..

I'm trying to come up with some clever description for this, but am coming up with zip here... Except may that it's easier to climb a ledge that looks like this.. ____/ Than one that looks like this.. _____|
This will also make it easier for sand, gravel and debrit to get caught between the pads and rotor as well. Getting even a small rock caught between a pad and rotor produces the most horrible grinding sound you've ever heard. It usually fixes itself, but it scares you to death when you hear it and it most always carves a nice groove into your rotor. Putting an angle on the pads could very well invite such issues, especially if you're going off-road.

I used to ride (1990 Yamaha Radian). I once got a small rock stuck between a front pad and rotor, which almost flipped the bike and certainly would have gone "rubber up" if I had been on a turn. Scared me to death.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:37 PM

These beveled Pads are pretty typical for European car brakes...

Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Highwinder

This will also make it easier for sand, gravel and debrit to get caught between the pads and rotor as well. Getting even a small rock caught between a pad and rotor produces the most horrible grinding sound you've ever heard. It usually fixes itself, but it scares you to death when you hear it and it most always carves a nice groove into your rotor. Putting an angle on the pads could very well invite such issues, especially if you're going off-road.

I used to ride (1990 Yamaha Radian). I once got a small rock stuck between a front pad and rotor, which almost flipped the bike and certainly would have gone "rubber up" if I had been on a turn. Scared me to death.
First I've heard of that, but I guess it's possible... Wasn't a vented disc was it..??

Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 PM

just talked dealer today about same problem. he said that stones or other road debris can get stuck in brakes and make that noise or he has seen rear differencial problems that sound like the brakes are grinding. i will find out monday when i bring mine in for same prob.