Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Automatic headlights behaviour debugging

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 05:56 AM
Default Automatic headlights behaviour debugging

Good day.
2007 h3x, 156k~ miles.
I read in manual about Automatic headlights, but something seems off when actually using them.
Manually when I switch lights to final right position all works fine.

During night/dark If I have Automatic lights on, they sometimes turn of all dash lights, rear parking lights.
I turn **** to left, release, headlights turn off. Turn to left, release, headlights and dash lights come on and I have rear parking lights on.
It might be fine for a while, then suddenly again all interior dash lights goes off.
Seems it is doing that when bright light source is encountered after prolonged time of darkness.
No errors in system.
BCM is fine(restored), leaks are taken care of. But there was leaks before and BCM had some water marks.

Can that be intended behavior in the night? Turn off all dash lights and real parking/drl lights.

I am in Europe and having rear parking lights/drl on during night is essential.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:26 PM

There is a sensor on the right side of your dash near the windshield that controls the auto light behavior. If it encounters bright lighting, the system thinks it is daytime, and it will turn off your headlights, running lights, and dash lights (DRLs will stay on). If you are encountering a lot of ambient light at night in the city where you drive, you could toss a rag or something over the sensor to fool it into keeping your lights on.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 07-14-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

If you confirm the sensor is at fault, you could replace it as they are like any other electronic part made by humans subject to failure.