Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2009 H3 Adventure: Clutch Actuator Cylinder...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I do not think there is much going on there, but my experience with 5 speed H3s is limited to driving Tainter's old H3T on a night run for a short while. Never had to work on one.

It might help to know what was done more specifically when the CAC was replaced????

For now, here is my stupid question.... Have you confirmed the level of MT Fluid since the repair?
Originally Posted by TAINTER
Listened to the audio.
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary but it has been several years since the MT H3T.
I would verify the fluid level in the MT and Tcase. If dirty, stinky, burnt or some shiny parts in there. change them out.

FYI, I have had great luck with REDLINE MT-90 75W90 GL-4 GEAR OIL in the Tcase. Also recommend it in the MT too.
https://www.redlineoil.com/find-products-for-my-vehicle
Originally Posted by hummerz
It's the supercharger. Sounds like a bearing to me! If the noise was not there before service, take it back to the shop!

https://youtu.be/sHC5pINsLyc
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I went to GMC yesterday morning to speak with the mechanic who did the work... unfortunately, it is not the same guy who has been working on my H3 since I got it. He moved on at some point over the last year. Anyway, the "new guy" said the transmission/bell housing dropped without issue, the CAC was replaced without issue, and then everything was buttoned back up, without issue.

I ran a set of tests of the transfer case/differentials when I got home, and it did not matter whether I was in 4Hi/4Lo/4Lo Lock/4Lo Lock, Fr Diff/Rr Diff Lock, the sound was the same regardless of the drivetrain config. Am going to check the fluid in the Transfer Case and Front/Rear Diffs today, but at this point, I am inclined to agree with @hummerz that it does sound like a bearing, and as nothing else was changed, am going to assume that it is the bearing on the CAC which is the culprit.

As there is nothing technically wrong with the vehicle at this point in time, there really isn't anything that can be done unless I want to shell out for another "X" hours labor at $140, which I do not. So, while not ideal, I guess I'm going to keep driving it until something goes wrong... and in the interim I'm going to have to find a new mechanic as I have zero confidence in this new guy at GMC.

Thanks again for all of your help with this... it was sincerely appreciated.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:20 AM

Depends on who supplied the part. If the release bearing is defective they should replace at no charge unless you supplied the part.