Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Blend Door issues? Here are your answers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Default Blend Door issues? Here are your answers!

OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

1 - Defrost to vent actuator (cam mode actuator). This is located on the DRIVERS SIDE, just to the left of the steering column. This is the ONLY one there, so when you find it, that will be the one. Part #604-121. Autozone sells this for $65.99.

2 - Recirculation actuator. This is located about 12" away from the PASSENGER SIDE window post. It is the furthest most right of all actuators. It is located underneath the dash pad, but I believe you could get to it and replace it without the dash top removal. I replaced my dash top while replacing the actuators, so I could get to it easily. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

3 - Driver side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, underneath of the glove box, just to the right of the center console. It is the only actuator below the level of the glove box (all others are up high in the dash board area). Just remove the plastic under the glove box and there it will be. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

4 - Passenger side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, just below the dash board top, and to the right of the center console. You don't need remove the center console. You just need to remove the two bolts that hold it in place, and tip it backwards to gain access to the two bolts for the dash top. You must remove the complete dash top to get access to this actuator. It requires some patience to get this one out and back in! You will need to use a 8mm box wrench. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

Notice that actuators 2,3, & 4 are all the same. The only one different is the defrost actuator.

I have now replaced all 4 actuators since owning this vehicle, 3 of which just this weekend!

When you pull the negative lead from the battery (or the fuse) and let it sit for awhile, then reconnect power, the system will perform a travel limit adjustment test. This means that all of the actuators will move to their limits, under load. If the load sensor in the actuator is bad (set with a pot inside of the actuator that can go bad) then the limit will exceed the safety point and the actuator will stop. It certainly is possible to fix these actuators, and I may look into making a thread about that. On the 4 that I have replaced, not a single stripped gear or other horror story I have heard occurred. I chatted with our local GM repair center and they also have never seen a stripped gear. It's always a pot (wiper) failure in the electronics.

Some people may have connected the actuator to the harness without installing it, wanting to watch it during this self test - and then read that this can ruin your actuator! Do not panic, your actuator is not damaged. You will want to re-center the actuator before installing it though, so just re-start the self test (pull the battery or fuse, wait awhile, reconnect the battery or fuse, and then turn the key to the ACC position). In the middle of the test (when the actuator is centered), just turn the key off and the test stops. Now you have an actuator that is centered and ready to install.

The cost to replace these with a dealer is insane. It's not difficult to do. If you have any questions, please ask them in the thread so that everyone might gain some knowledge here.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 AM

tainter is a tool!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:02 PM

Sounds like you have saved alot of money by switching to geico!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Great info!!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Thank you for this info JimDrew. I am going to attempt the Passenger side actuator replacement this week. Driver side is cool (not cold), but pass side is 156degrees (measured using my digital meat thermometer). It's been 103-108 all week here in St. Louis, so hopefully I can start riding with my windows up for a change.

Does anyone happen to know what the MAX PSI should read for the AC lines? I recharged my AC and I'm getting about 70-75 PSI with my AC on MAX.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=JimDrew;277779]OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

1 - Defrost to vent actuator (cam mode actuator). This is located on the DRIVERS SIDE, just to the left of the steering column. This is the ONLY one there, so when you find it, that will be the one. Part #604-121. Autozone sells this for $65.99.

I got under there and there is a actuator to the right of the column, under the dash and basicly under the left side of the stereo. so between the column and the center console. is this the one you are talking about? it has a large plastic wheel behind it that appears to open and close the main vent? this is all under the dash. I hope this is wrong as every other article here says you must remove the dash and it's right there in the open under the dash. But also hope its correct as I have it off now, although the whole dash is off as well. thanks for any help.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM

On a 2003 H2, the locations I have stated are 100% correct. I replaced all 4 in my H2. There are no actuators (at least on 2003 models) to the right of the steering column and left of the center console.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just replaced the blend door actuator that was connected to the side of the airbox in the center column below the stereo ( right of column, left side of center). It had a slotted piece of plastic behind it that three of the doors had popped out pieces of plastic that slid into the slotted piece. I did tear out my whole dash and center column after reading **** here to find out that the blend door can be replaced with out removing anything but the 2 screws holding the actuator in, but that will be a reply for the other forum that steered me that way. All back together and working great though.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=Husa4342;282097][QUOTE=JimDrew;277779]OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

That part number comes up as a blend door actuator. Is that the correct part? I have the same problem and it is cold here no and all my heat it coming out of the defrost only.
Should it be called a can mode actuator? Just want to make sure I order the correct part.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM

I found it listed both ways. Hit me up if ya like, I'll give you a quick run down.
Mike 916-865-8063

Quick Reply: Blend Door issues? Here are your answers!