Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Blend Door issues? Here are your answers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:56 PM

my 2003 h2 base when heat on one side sometimes blows cold and when ac on one side (drivers) blows hot, what you think? control module or actuator door?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:08 PM

Jeff,

Since its driver side, one option to eliminate the actuator is to remove it and see the workings.... The driver side actuator is on the passenger side. Check JimDrews post for location. Remove the actuator, operate the door with hand (close /open) by rotating the control post left to right/vice versa and see if the air stays hot or cold per the position of the door.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Default part #604-111 beware

Originally Posted by JimDrew
OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

1 - Defrost to vent actuator (cam mode actuator). This is located on the DRIVERS SIDE, just to the left of the steering column. This is the ONLY one there, so when you find it, that will be the one. Part #604-121. Autozone sells this for $65.99.

2 - Recirculation actuator. This is located about 12" away from the PASSENGER SIDE window post. It is the furthest most right of all actuators. It is located underneath the dash pad, but I believe you could get to it and replace it without the dash top removal. I replaced my dash top while replacing the actuators, so I could get to it easily. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

3 - Driver side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, underneath of the glove box, just to the right of the center console. It is the only actuator below the level of the glove box (all others are up high in the dash board area). Just remove the plastic under the glove box and there it will be. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

4 - Passenger side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, just below the dash board top, and to the right of the center console. You don't need remove the center console. You just need to remove the two bolts that hold it in place, and tip it backwards to gain access to the two bolts for the dash top. You must remove the complete dash top to get access to this actuator. It requires some patience to get this one out and back in! You will need to use a 8mm box wrench. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

Notice that actuators 2,3, & 4 are all the same. The only one different is the defrost actuator.

I have now replaced all 4 actuators since owning this vehicle, 3 of which just this weekend!

When you pull the negative lead from the battery (or the fuse) and let it sit for awhile, then reconnect power, the system will perform a travel limit adjustment test. This means that all of the actuators will move to their limits, under load. If the load sensor in the actuator is bad (set with a pot inside of the actuator that can go bad) then the limit will exceed the safety point and the actuator will stop. It certainly is possible to fix these actuators, and I may look into making a thread about that. On the 4 that I have replaced, not a single stripped gear or other horror story I have heard occurred. I chatted with our local GM repair center and they also have never seen a stripped gear. It's always a pot (wiper) failure in the electronics.

Some people may have connected the actuator to the harness without installing it, wanting to watch it during this self test - and then read that this can ruin your actuator! Do not panic, your actuator is not damaged. You will want to re-center the actuator before installing it though, so just re-start the self test (pull the battery or fuse, wait awhile, reconnect the battery or fuse, and then turn the key to the ACC position). In the middle of the test (when the actuator is centered), just turn the key off and the test stops. Now you have an actuator that is centered and ready to install.

The cost to replace these with a dealer is insane. It's not difficult to do. If you have any questions, please ask them in the thread so that everyone might gain some knowledge here.
O'rilles sells part #604-111 as well as #604-106
i put #111 in my pass side temp control and it DID NOT WORK i had to take it out and purchase the other more expensive 106 maybe 5 dollars more but it did the trick.
dont take the black plastic shield off. just pull it up and get your quarter inch down there and off it comes but make sure it works before you put it back together.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 AM

I believe I need a recirc actuator as the recirc has never worked. Even on I will get the smells and dust from the outside.

Any pics of these things, I have no clue what they look like. Also any tips on getting to this actuator without removing the dash. I have no desire what so ever to remove the dash!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:53 PM
Default Thank yoy Jim !

Originally Posted by JimDrew
OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

4 - Passenger side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, just below the dash board top, and to the right of the center console. You don't need remove the center console. You just need to remove the two bolts that hold it in place, and tip it backwards to gain access to the two bolts for the dash top. You must remove the complete dash top to get access to this actuator. It requires some patience to get this one out and back in! You will need to use a 8mm box wrench. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.
Thank you Jim. I just replaced the actuator on the passenger side blend. Was a pain, but thanks to your description, it took me only about 2 hrs of work, some bleeding knuckles, a 1/2 cut 8mm socket to fit, and a $58 part from Amazon.

Your description was perfect in saving me a lot of $ guiding me how to fix it myself.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:34 PM

I sold my Hummer several years ago, but I am glad this info is still helping people. I am getting ready to do a similar tutorial on my '01 Tahoe!

Old 06-07-2016, 11:52 AM

This Post rocks. Thank you so much for taking the time. I had my Driver side vents blowing 130 degree air last friday (the hottest day of the year so far). I rarely use the A/C and I had a premonition as soon as I turned it on. Low and Behold right?. anyhow. Replaced the only actuator that is accessible without having to remove my dash (again) and problem solved. 10 minutes labor and $90 at the dealer for an actuator. Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:18 PM
Default AC blows 140 degree air in 105+ temps

My 2003 Hummer H2 works fine up to 100 degrees but above 105 degrees all vents blow 140 degree air and no cold air at all until the temp drops back below 105.
Which actuator causes this or could my compressor be cutting out after 105 degrees? I replaced the AC cycling switch but had no affect.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 AM

Hi All and thank you for your help.
My AC is working fine. I have a problem with the heating: Driver side is HOT AIR while Passenger side is COLD AIR, which BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR shall I replace?
Regards, YF

Old 12-01-2017, 09:23 AM

How do you call the unit of the ac/heating control (in front of the gearbox)?

Quick Reply: Blend Door issues? Here are your answers!