Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2005H2
A new transmission is $4k out here. I'm wondering if should sell it. Would you sell it or fix then sell?
$4k seems high! Are you able to do the work yourself? At least removal/replacement?

I bought a remanufactured for $1,200 and did the work myself.

I agree with others....a flush won’t fix the problem. Usually the 3rd gear clutch is burned out. That’s what happened to me....truck would let shift out of 2nd gear. I didn’t have any CEL or codes, just couldn’t drive faster than 45mph without the thing revving like crazy.

As for selling as is or fix and sell...if you just want to move-on, I would say sell it as is.
If you’re wanting to keep for a while, to benefit from the replaced transmission costs and then, maybe, sell....I would suggest repair.

In my experience, as mine is an 05 as well, the transmission replacement isn’t the only thing you will need to address....i would expect various small things associated with transmission....cooler lines/connectors/o-rings on trans and radiator; shifter linkage; mounting bolts; transmission mount.

things like that usually increase the cost and you don’t necessarily know about them until the mechanic is tearing everything apart. Not saying you will have to replace all of that...just recommending you have that checked as well to avoid sticker shock. When I first got my H2, my transmission cooler lines were leaking at the radiator. At first, I replaced the connectors. Later, I bypassed the radiator altogether and installed a transmission oil cooler. When i replaces the transmission itself, I had to buy new connectors that are found on the transmission itself. I also replaced the transmission mount.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:41 PM

Rig has 164k on it. Slips and revs high at times. Is it worth spending $400 on a full flush or should I save that money and get the transmission serviced and or replaced? I've added Transtune btw and it didn't change anything.

Thanks in advance.
I'd list it for 8k
Many here quick to spend your money. Transmission slipping diagnosis, includes dropping the pan. You have an intermittent condition, which can be caused by fluid/flow/restriction. Take it to a reputable shop and ask them to drop the pan and inspect. If debris is not excessive, have it flushed with gm recommended DEXVI+install new filter/gasket. After, you can decide to sell or not. GL

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by hummerz; 02-25-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:25 PM

You are correct. In fact you can drop the pan yourself and replace the filter and gasket. The if the old fluid is black, that is from clutch slipping. The old filter might not let enough volume of fluid to pass through for normal shifts. I changed my filter and fluid but still had same problem. Then went for the transmission job. But the filter change dont cost too much and you can do it yourself. Good Luck

Old 02-25-2021, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Z
For what it’s worth I installed a used transmission with 70k miles on it for around $1600. If not doing that much driving may be something to look at to save cost. Have you had the thing scanned? Codes? I had a very similar situation but only needed to replace some type of a module (solenoid?) as my truck was stuck on second or third gear can’t remember that was years ago. Very cheap to fix at that time.
the 05 are good year models. Good luck
Shift solenoid stuck.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sirina2
You are correct. In fact you can drop the pan yourself and replace the filter and gasket. The if the old fluid is black, that is from clutch slipping. The old filter might not let enough volume of fluid to pass through for normal shifts. I changed my filter and fluid but still had same problem. Then went for the transmission job. But the filter change dont cost too much and you can do it yourself. Good Luck
You should, be at least a little bit concerned if your transmission fluid is any color except red. For instance, if you have transmission fluid that has turned light brown, it might mean that it’s starting to get to be on the older side. If it’s dark brown, it might mean that it’s getting to be old and contaminated and is no longer capable. And if you have black transmission fluid, it might mean that it’s old, contaminated, and possibly even oxidized.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by RoH2
$4k seems high! Are you able to do the work yourself? At least removal/replacement?

I bought a remanufactured for $1,200 and did the work myself.

I agree with others....a flush won’t fix the problem. Usually the 3rd gear clutch is burned out. That’s what happened to me....truck would let shift out of 2nd gear. I didn’t have any CEL or codes, just couldn’t drive faster than 45mph without the thing revving like crazy.

As for selling as is or fix and sell...if you just want to move-on, I would say sell it as is.
If you’re wanting to keep for a while, to benefit from the replaced transmission costs and then, maybe, sell....I would suggest repair.

In my experience, as mine is an 05 as well, the transmission replacement isn’t the only thing you will need to address....i would expect various small things associated with transmission....cooler lines/connectors/o-rings on trans and radiator; shifter linkage; mounting bolts; transmission mount.

things like that usually increase the cost and you don’t necessarily know about them until the mechanic is tearing everything apart. Not saying you will have to replace all of that...just recommending you have that checked as well to avoid sticker shock. When I first got my H2, my transmission cooler lines were leaking at the radiator. At first, I replaced the connectors. Later, I bypassed the radiator altogether and installed a transmission oil cooler. When i replaces the transmission itself, I had to buy new connectors that are found on the transmission itself. I also replaced the transmission mount.
No, not high. The OEM transmission alone is $2500, labor at the dealership is $1100, then tax. I don't have the desire nor the time to do this myself.

I think I'm gonna opt for a full flush and pan inspection and replace the filter first, $400.