Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Help my tranny PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:57 PM
Default Help my tranny PLEASE!!

Hey guys,
since yall are the experts and i'm not, i'm reaching out once again!

for spring break my wife and I took the kiddos to the beach we drove my other wife (my humner 2008 h2). We ran 20 hours straight from texas to florida because yo i'm a maniac and that's how I roll. Maybe that was not a great idea hour 19 she hesitated a few seconds to drive from a stop light. She locked in with a small thump and check engine light came on. I pulled into a parking lot immediately. She wouldn't engage reverse or drive. Trans temp 170, fluid appropriate level, but fluid has never been changed. I shut her down waited 10 minutes. Started up check engine light still on. She hesitated a split second in reverse and drive so I went for it trying to get to the beach. Half mile down road she was in drive going about 50 and the tranny lost the gear. I guess i'm trying to say she was reving like in neutral. No bang, clunk or loss of trans fluid. I'm in the tow truck typing this. I'm here for a week I need to get her running. Please please please any and all suggestions, ideas, comments, I need you guys!!!!!!

thank you!!!!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:33 PM

You do not have to have a bang or loss of fluid to have a trans problem. The amount of miles on the vehicle would be nice but I have a good feeling that you have a serious trans problem. I know you dont want that news but I'd bet it's time for the trans to be rebuilt. If it wasnt shifting then I'd say it is a solenoid but if its slipping and hesitating then I'd say it's time for all of it to be replaced. For your sake I hope it's not. Either way, start changing the fluid and filter. Doesn't cost that much and in my opinion, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I hope it's not bad but you will soon find out.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:03 AM

I agree with Bower..... if its slipping with go some or just lost a gear or two then it sounds like one of the clutch packs is done and it needs a rebuild. Regardless you should be able to find a competent and local shop who can swap the transmission. There are transmission rebuilders all over the country in pretty much every major metro area. Yours has the newer and heavier duty 6L80 trans so I'm not as familiar with the costs but I know if shopped around on the older 4L60 (4L65) around here you would be looking at around a grand for the trans and probably another five hundred to a grand in labor to have replaced. Again, I'm not as familiar with the 6L80 transmissions prices though and of course there are regional price fluctuations as well. I'd venture to guess that if you come off as a desperate tourist in a hurry that the price might not be as fair either but that will greatly depend on the shop and their own ethics.

Regardless I'd be immediately looking online for reviews of a competent local mechanic or shop to take it to as they are the ones who you are going to have to trust to make the determination of what it truly wrong. It might even be good to register on one of the larger GM truck forums and post asking for a referral from someone local to where you are of a trustworthy local shop. The GM truck forums are far more active with far more members as the trucks are so much more common and they use essentially the exact same drivetrain. I'm a member on a couple myself (I do also happen to have a GMC truck in addition to my H2) like performancetrucks and silveradosierra. At one of those larger forums you have a good chance that someone local to where you are might be able to make a solid recommendation on a local shop.

Either way - sorry to hear of your situation, best of luck, and keep us posted.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:20 AM

I used online street smart transmission and I was very satisfied with the deal... Jasper is good too
a shop will charge around 500-600 ... make sure to call in advance and get an estimate on the phone before they know you are traveling out of state.
Some places likes to take advantage when they know you situation